AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this question on the "Plasma & LCD Flat Panel Displays" forum but no one responded. Maybe someone here can help?

I'm thinking of purchasing an inexpensive LCD computer monitor for use with the "monitor out" jacks on my Rotel RSX-1065 surround sound receiver (which uses either component video or s-video jacks for that function). Since lcd computer monitors do not, I believe, accept either of those types of inputs, is this 'do-able'??

Thanks.

htomei

·
Registered
32 Posts
You will need to get a tuner designed to output to a VGA output to do this. These tuners will have a composite (and usually S-video and component) connection. I know Viewsonic makes a few, and I am sure there are others.

I just bought the Viewsonic NextVision N6 myself. Somewhat pricey, but it also can also convert HD sources to standard computer resolutions.

Arbury

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
It is considered poor form around here to post the same question in more than one place -- let alone several.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rogo,

I appreciate, and respect your admonition. I am (and was, before re-posting on the other forums) conscious of that etiquette, and this was, in fact the first time that I have "cross posted."

HOWEVER, since my question did not precisely/exclusively fall within the confines of any of the forums, and since I did not initially receive any response to my initial posting, I thought it appropriate to bend the 'rule' and try the others.

In fact, the responses which I eventually did get were markedly different in the different forums - reflecting the differing vantage points from which each forum draws (particularly on a 'cross-forum' based query). All of the responses, including yours, were VERY helpful.

And finally, no, I don't intend to cross-post this reply:p

htomei

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
HT, don't sweat it. You explained your multiple posting first, and it's okay. Rogo has a bug up somewhere.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Hthomei22,

I have a 5" LCD that takes composite in only. I previously used this to setup my first pre/pro a Rotel RSP 976 because I was / am using a FP and didn't have a TV nearby. The Rotel has long been sold so I now use this 5" LCD when listening to DVD audio as I don't want my FP on just to choose song selection. I paid about $300 CDN for mine. I'm sure you can find similar units in the USA.

The other option you have is to pickup a transcoder that converts component to RGBHV which the computer monitor will accept. But you have to make sure the menu items on your Rotel will show via component output as some receivers will only output the setup stuff on Svideo or composite.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I don't have a bug up anywhere. The posting was in at least three places (including Digital Hi-End Projectors >$5,000 and up). I was making a tiny point.

All successful online communities are "member policed" so they don't devolve into chaos.

I surely did not mean to hint anything more than to suggest that this kind of cross posting can lead to trouble.

It's not like I beat htomei over the head with a 2x4. And I even appreciate the response here.

See, it's never the one or two errant posts that mess up these places, it's the errant 2,000 or 3,000.

Htomei, no harm I hope...

Mark

·
Registered
373 Posts
As long as the monitor has a composite input you should be fine. I use a 5.6" LCD which I bought from e-bay ~ $75. I use this for my Onkyo 989 as well as DVD/CD player. No problem!

Arnold

·
Registered
109 Posts
Rogo, I have followed the "merry go round" session that you and Nigel have going over in the front projection section(I agree with your position for what it's worth before you guys started your pissing match). I can't believe how you can "spank" this gentleman's question especially since nobody answered him. I think you might want to check the mirror...

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Planar, Samsung and others make 15" LCD monitors that take S-Vid in. They will cost you quite a bit more than the 5-7" ones but they are out there.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Joe, I didn't "spank" anyone. It was a minor admonishing -- further explained above.

Minor at worst.

FWIW, I am so bored of the pissing match with Nigel, that I have a long reply composed and am seriously considering never submitting it. In the last round, I conceded a point to him totally as a courtesy and instead of accepting that, he slammed me for it. I can't even imagine where to go with that discussion from here.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys (by the way, I'm a gal) are ALL great - including rogo - and I very much appreciate your responses. I've bid on a lcd t.v on eBay, and I'll let you all know how it works out.

Thanks again.

htomei

·
Registered
731 Posts
If it does not work out "the bid on ebay" Sceptre makes 15", 17" and 19" monitors that have a TV tuner built in which will accept s-video and composite input. I beleive the Gecko series is the most affordable w. TV tuners. I use 2 of thier 19" monitors w/out TV tuners...for the price they are very good. Check them out:
Sceptre

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Also, have you checked out www.partsexpress.com, a forum sponsor, which often has deals on small LCDs that have composite inputs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.