AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a non-HD DirecTV satellite and DVR. Since I upgraded my TV to a 65" Mitsubishi 1080p DLP set I'd like to get at least the local OTA channels in HD.

Is there any way that the satellite will pick up OTA channels? I did a scan with my TV and it didn't find any channels. I hooked up the coaxial cable output from my DVR to the coaxial input on my TV and then did the scan.

If there's a way to get the local channels I would appreciate any help! It would be much easier (and cheaper!) than installing an antenna on my roof. I live about 60-70 miles from the broadcast towers that are in the Minneapolis/St.Paul, MN area.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,682 Posts
At 60-70 miles, it would be virtually impossible to get over-the-air HD channels without a roof antenna, and even with a roof antenna at that distance reliable reception is not guaranteed.

The other alternative is to upgrade to DirecTV HD, and they'll provide local HD.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Ken.

My best friend used to live 2 blocks from me and picked up OTA channels very nicely with a roof-mounted antenna and signal booster. I was just hoping I would be able to use the hardware I already had for OTA channels.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzzzer /forum/post/17043255

Thanks for the quick reply Ken.

My best friend used to live 2 blocks from me and picked up OTA channels very nicely with a roof-mounted antenna and signal booster. I was just hoping I would be able to use the hardware I already had for OTA channels.

2 entirely different frequency bands. You really would need a real OTA antenna. If you could post the TVfool.com of your situation, we could give you a reasonable idea of what would be required. That said, at 60-70 miles - you would be pushing it. We're talking high, outside, large antennas here, as well as appropriate amps.

Your cheapest answer is probably DirectTv / Dish or cable (if available).

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going to have the wife call Qwest/DirecTV Monday and see how much extra the HD package will be. Looks like I can get a free HD DVR right now too.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,682 Posts
TV signals are primary received line of sight. Due to the curvature of the earth, that means about 60 miles. This can increase with higher transmitting towers (e.g. on a mountain) or high mounted antennas.

At ~60 miles, you need a large directional antenna mounted outdoors as high as possible, with a clear view to the transmitting tower. In some areas at closer distances, ~15-20 miles, you can use an indoor antenna. As you get closer with few obstructions, in some cases a paper clip has been used with success.

TV reception is like other wireless reception, think cell phones; it widely varies based on a number of variables.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts