1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
newbie question...

Old but nice Kenwood KR-V8080

This is a DPL receiver. Only has old school RCA L/R Audio inputs

However it has FL/FR C LR/RR and Sub speaker outputs.

If I buy a DVD player (say Panasonic RP82) that has a DD/DTS decoder, will I be able to hear the better 5.1 sound using my feeble L/R RCA audio inputs? Or do I need the optical/coaxial digital input (which I don't have) to hear the 5.1 sound?

Sorry if this question is basic, but any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Your receiver needs to have 5.1 inputs if it has that then you'll need to buy 3 pairs or RCA cables plug them into the back of your dvd player, and set your player so that it decodes DD, and DTS. I'm assuming this player has multi-channel outputs becasue then what the point of having the decoder. When you connect them your player will now convert dd to PCM (which is the form of the regular cd-audio format), also you have to have 5 channels of amplification but I'm sure you knew that.

Daniel Smith

·
Registered
654 Posts
andwhite1: No, you are out of luck. I checked one of my old Audio magazine annual directories (Oct 1996) and your 8080 is Pro Logic only. So, as you already know, your model only supports 2 channel analog inputs. To get 5.1 sound, you would need a Dolby Digital digital input or as Daniel notes, a 6 channel (also refered to as 5.1) analog input. You have neither.

If your budget can swing it, the good part about all of this is that there are many affordable receivers out there that you can upgrade to that would give you 5.1, not to mention Pro Logic II (which is MUCH better than your plain Pro Logic.) If you've been happy with Kenwood, their new models look pretty decent to me...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.