AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, and sorry if I seem like I am wasting valuable thread space @[email protected]

This is my current pc:

1x SAPPHIRE 100225L Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Item #: N82E16814102719
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102719

1x Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

Item #: N82E16829102006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102006

2x Patriot Viper 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PVS24G8500ELK - Retail

Item #: N82E16820220299

1x ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard

Item #: N82E16813131227R

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

Item #: N82E16819115017

I was planning on using the DVI-HDMI adapter, and a long HDMI cable. My current CPU fan is the stock fan (even when playing games it doesn't seem like it needs any better, though perhaps the GPU hsf is a bit loud). I'm using the Antec P180 case, which is rather huge and has room for expansion, as well as 3 fans (2 of which I am currently using). I've got a cordless mouse/keyboard somewhere in my closet, but am not using it right now.

My tv is a philips 42PFL7432D, my receiver is part of the Onkyo Sr800 HTIAB (I believe the best it uses is optical, with the hdmi just passing through).

As far as decoding HD audio, I believe the receiver cannot do it.. and I don't know what the PC can do.

I'd like to watch films and maybe play games from the PC (though I dunno where i'd put the mouse/keyboard right now)... television/cable is not a concern, as I can't stand advertisements and don't have the time to watch all that stuff... maybe eventually, but not right now. A friend of mine hooked up an antenna to his tv and says he even gets some HD channels (free), so maybe i will try that sometime.

Again, sorry if this seems like a post that should belong elsehwere.. if it does, let me know.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
more than enough power to do HD. My general rule of thumb is if it is powerful enough to play the latest videos games it is more than enough to do HD/HDTV.

A HTPC isn't really anything special, other than a pc hooked up to a tv, and controlled via a remote instead of a keyboard and mouse.

- Josh

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! What about signal degradation (if any) for using a long-ish HDMI cable? What range of length should I remain within?

At this point I kind of wish I had a projector.. it would be a bit easier to just run a cable up a wall and into the projector than run it around the room...

As well, I'm not certain how to get the most out of my soundcard.. I thought good quality surround required something a bit more fancy-looking than what I plug headphones into... there is a SPDIF connector on the internal portion of the card, but I assume that is for connecting the cd/dvd/etc-ROM to the card.

Will the audio be channeled via the dvi/hdmi connector on the graphics card? If so that leaves me a problem as the receiver does not accept audio over HDMI, afaik...

EDIT: hmm my mobo has SPDIF (optical) out, but wouldn't htat mean I have to use the onboard soundcard? I would assume it's inferior to the soundblaster, but maybe I'm a sucker for marketing

1 - 3 of 3 Posts