AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to run a DVI cable between my PT-L500U projector and PC. But for the sound I'd like to use my HK630 reciever instead of using the 5.1 sound from my nForce2 motherboard. Is there a way to do this? Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
you run a cable from your nforce2's S/PDIF connector to your receiver's. Most nForce boards have a coax digital audio connector.

Once you do that just enable S/PDIF output on your preferred dvd player.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Do any add-in cards have that feature (5.1 on non-dvd sources) or do you have to have a MB that does it?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Telv
you won't get 5.1 channel audio on non-DVD sources (games, mp3 audio etc) unless your nForce2 board has the SoundStorm Dolby Digital Encoding feature.
My nForce2 motherboard (NF7) has SoundStorm, so as I had hoped I should be able to get 5.1 for non-DVD sources like PC gaming.

I connected an optical cable from the board to an optical IN on the receiver. So I'm hoping that will allow me to play 5.1 for non-DVD sources with SoundStorm through my receiver.

And, as you've said I will enable S/PDIF output on my PC's DVD player so the DVD audio will be processed by my receiver (and not by SoundStorm).

This is great. I'll have to give this a try later on today or tomorrow.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by PAP
Do any add-in cards have that feature (5.1 on non-dvd sources) or do you have to have a MB that does it?
I don't know from experience but I've read in another forum you have to have SoundStorm on your motherboard to get 5.1 for non-DVD sources. This could be wrong but I recall it was a major selling point for me getting a board with SoundStorm.

·
Registered
94 Posts
5.1 realtime DD encoding is available on various nforce1/2 boards as well as the new intel PCIe solutions. The feature is now marketed by Dolby as Dolby Digital Live.

To enable 5.1 DD output on SoundStorm, go to your nVmixer -> Speaker Page and select 5.1 Speakers (Dolby Digital) from the drop down menu.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought the NF7 board with the soundstorm also, but i have a question, will it support DTS?

As in, what if I want a DTS stream sent through the optical port for my receiver to encode, can that be done? If so, how?

thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
doh, i always mix up encode/decode

in any case, do you have any info regarding sending the DTS stream to the receiver?

I like the idea of it creating 5.1 DD from games and such, would i have to adjust that setting if i am playing a dvd with dts and choose the dts track?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
With DTS from a DVD, you are merely passing through the pre-encoded DTS audio to your receiver for your receiver to decode - no real-time encoding is needed.

Edit - I may have misunderstood the question - if so, never mind me! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sherbona
With DTS from a DVD, you are merely passing through the pre-encoded DTS audio to your receiver for your receiver to decode - no real-time encoding is needed.

Edit - I may have misunderstood the question - if so, never mind me! :)
Actually, i think you answered it, maybe indirectly.

See I assumed that the soundstorm chip would try and decode any signal sent to it, including a DTS signal. So my concern was, would i have to disable that function every time I wanted to play a DTS DVD, then re-enable it when I wanted 5.1 out of a game.

I think what you're saying is, since its a DTS track, the chip wont do anything with it and the track will be passed through. ---- right? :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Soundstorm is *not* the only way to get 5.1 audio sources out on SPDIF. Intel's High Definition Audio (I use this on my HTPC) does the job like a champ (just not in hardware like Soundstorm, it does it in software).

Apparently AC3Filter will do something like this as well, but I'm not too versed in that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a soundstorm nForce board. I have 1 optical cable from the HTPC to the receiver, no other audio cables. I never have to change the input source on the reciever, (unless i want to listen to the radio) which is convenient.

The mobo encodes almost all audio that's not already DD or DTS to DD 5.1 in hardware.

That being said, there are some things to watch out for.

When using SPDIF passthrough, some HDTV streams and DVD menus are not DD, they are just Dolby pro logic, and this gets passed through the SPDIF as a digital stream. This isn't a big deal, just something you may notice.

Some audio decoders, especially after changing audio/video/mobo drivers once or twice, will decode a DD or DTS stream (even though you have spdif checked), then pass it to the nForce encoder to get re-encoded to DD5.1. This IS a big deal, you'll quickly realize how much dynamics the nForce encoder lacks. This can be a real pain. If you're watching a DVD that you're familiar with, you'll probably pick it pretty quickly when it does this. The easiest way to check to see if it's working correctly is open the nForce Audio control panel and see if there is any activity on the equalizer-visualization thing. If there is, you're encoding.

I've found that NVDVD audio decoders will do this often. The rest just seem to be on a per HTPC build basis. There may be some real rhyme or reason to it, but i've never paid attention, as any audio decoder just passing the stream through SPDIF should sound the same. Before Zoom player, this was a real pain, as it limited the DVD player that I could use.

Just to make sure i'm clear, this problem isn't something that is intermittent, so if you set up the HTPC, then you check for this problem and don't have it, you're good. It won't pop up for no reason. But if you install another decoder, or change your drivers, check again as the problem may show up.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I need help. I play dvd's thru my HTPC and i use windows media player. Well now i only hear the sounds from the sound track and special effect sounds but no sounds are produced from the people talking. Its really weird. I have watched about 5 movies so far. This just started. I have never heard of such a problem before. I went and checked everywhere and everything looks fine. Please help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by yurd
I have a soundstorm nForce board. I have 1 optical cable from the HTPC to the receiver, no other audio cables. I never have to change the input source on the reciever, (unless i want to listen to the radio) which is convenient.

The mobo encodes almost all audio that's not already DD or DTS to DD 5.1 in hardware.

That being said, there are some things to watch out for.

When using SPDIF passthrough, some HDTV streams and DVD menus are not DD, they are just Dolby pro logic, and this gets passed through the SPDIF as a digital stream. This isn't a big deal, just something you may notice.

Some audio decoders, especially after changing audio/video/mobo drivers once or twice, will decode a DD or DTS stream (even though you have spdif checked), then pass it to the nForce encoder to get re-encoded to DD5.1. This IS a big deal, you'll quickly realize how much dynamics the nForce encoder lacks. This can be a real pain. If you're watching a DVD that you're familiar with, you'll probably pick it pretty quickly when it does this. The easiest way to check to see if it's working correctly is open the nForce Audio control panel and see if there is any activity on the equalizer-visualization thing. If there is, you're encoding.

I've found that NVDVD audio decoders will do this often. The rest just seem to be on a per HTPC build basis. There may be some real rhyme or reason to it, but i've never paid attention, as any audio decoder just passing the stream through SPDIF should sound the same. Before Zoom player, this was a real pain, as it limited the DVD player that I could use.

Just to make sure i'm clear, this problem isn't something that is intermittent, so if you set up the HTPC, then you check for this problem and don't have it, you're good. It won't pop up for no reason. But if you install another decoder, or change your drivers, check again as the problem may show up.
Hey man, ive tried to get my Zoomplayer (using AC3) to output to the optical without any processing, however when i pick DTS i get no sound, nothing. I have a nforce soundstorm mobo, and in the control panel i checked Digital out, and in the AC3filter settings i chose the spdif output box. What am i missing??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.