Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a Toshiba or Samsung DLP set. Currently considering the Toshiba 62HM84.

I'll be using a HD Tivo Directv box, but I'm worried that non-hd signals will look like crap on a screen that big. It would be really great if I could somehow shrink the image until the grainyness is acceptable. Is there any way to do this? Maybe with the PIP?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Yes absolutely, some people do this. I sometimes use split screen ... the "main" window is the perfect size for making SD shows look beautiful. It's just when you enlarge them so much that they look so hideous.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I use PIP for SD viewing quite often when my 3 year old watches her shows either from Replay or standard cable. My 50" HLN gives me two 27" 4:3 screens side by side, but I usually "turn off" the right side.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chinoman,

So if you "turn off" the other side then all the area around the one smaller screen is black?

What TV do you have?

Thanks again

·
Registered
37 Posts
You can definatly do the pic in pic but you must keep changing its size or you will burn in the boarder into your screen don't leave it in one place for more then 20 min.

·
Registered
635 Posts
You can definatly do the pic in pic but you must keep changing its size or you will burn in the boarder into your screen don't leave it in one place for more then 20 min.

Haha, what?

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bduvall7
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a Toshiba or Samsung DLP set. Currently considering the Toshiba 62HM84.

I'll be using a HD Tivo Directv box, but I'm worried that non-hd signals will look like crap on a screen that big. It would be really great if I could somehow shrink the image until the grainyness is acceptable. Is there any way to do this? Maybe with the PIP?

Thanks!!!
The Toshiba 62HM84 does not have PIP....it has Picture Out (of) Picture, which is basically a dual-window display of two sources at once. You cannot resize either image in the typical sense of the word, though you are able to display either two 4:3 windows, or one 4:3 window and one 16:9 window (the main window will only display 480i signals, but the POP window will display 480p, 720p or 1080i signals). If you do not have an active source selected for the POP window, it will be blank. Both windows are displayed against a grey background.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
unless bduvall has 2x directv boxes connected to his tv, how is he going to be able to use PIP/PAP/POP on tv's; the directv boxes I thought only had 1 tuner, no ?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Quote:
I thought DLP sets didn't burn in???
They don't !

Audio 2000 probably thought you where talking about CRT RPTV

About the PIP. It works well with both model, but keep in mind that the toshiba you are talking about have gray bars and gray background. So your 4:3 image in the PIP window will be surrounded with gray instead of black.

the Samsung has black bars and so the screen will be completely black.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Quote:
I thought grey bars were for sets that burn in? The 62hm84 has grey bars?
Yep. I have a 52HM84 and they have grey bars ! Why ? Probably because they ported their settings and software from their CRT line.

all the 84 and 94 series DLP have grey bars that can't be changed to black.

Don't know about the 85 and 95 series though !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's soooo anoying. I just ordered 62HM84.

I read a blurb about changing them to black that on some other news group, but they said Toshiba locked down the "ADDR" mode. Guess I'll google that some more...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.