AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing the Pioneer VSX-9040TXH and do not have a decent set of speakers for it yet. I am admitting from the start that this is all new to me so yes, I don't know what I am doing. LOL

I currently have a Samsung HT-X50 Home Theater system and was wondering if until I get new speakers I can try out the Pioneer with its speakers. I realize that they will not come close to realizing the potential of the receiver but just want to be able to try it out when I get it without blowing the speakers off the walls. Below is the ratings for the speakers I am referring to. Also would like any suggestions for a 5.1 set of speakers under $500 for this receiver. Thanks for any advice and if I am crazy for even considering plugging these speakers into the unit, do not hesistate to tell me.

Speakers

Front / Rear 3O

145Hz~20KHz

86dB/W/M

166W / Max 332W

3.5 in. x 6.6 in. x 3.8 in.

1.3 Ibs/1.1 Ibs

Center 3O

145Hz~20KHz

86dB/W/M

170W / Max 340W

9.8 in. x 3.5 in. x 3.8 in.

1.5 Ibs

Subwoofer 3O

35Hz~155Hz

86dB/W/M

166W / Max 332W

7.1 in. x 12.6 in. x 15.4 in.

12.1 Ibs

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I used a THX receiver with HTIB and slowly upgraded the speakers.

HTIB speakers are not always good for two channel stereo because their frequency range is quite limited.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Is it a powered sub? Or is there a powered connection from the HTIB to them?

Often times the subs won't work unless you buy and external amp for them.

I would not do it here. From the specs? The speakers stink, if they are really cheap you run some risk of them damaging the new AVR through failure.

·
Registered
29,186 Posts
cheap 3ohm samsung speakers. I would replace them ASAP. For your new 5.1 speakers do they need to be small satellites too?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/18277597

Is it a powered sub? Or is there a powered connection from the HTIB to them?

Often times the subs won't work unless you buy and external amp for them.

I would not do it here. From the specs? The speakers stink, if they are really cheap you run some risk of them damaging the new AVR through failure.

No there is no power running to the sub. And yes I agree they do stink. I think I will just have to bite the bullet and get a starter set of speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18277811

cheap 3ohm samsung speakers. I would replace them ASAP. For your new 5.1 speakers do they need to be small satellites too?

I wasn't planning on keeping them long, probably not at all now. The room is only 18x16 and very cluttered so at the very least the rears have to be satellites so they can be hung in the corners.

In reconsidering some of my choices I was looking at one of the polk starter home theater speaker sets like the Polk Audio RM6750 or the one that is once step above that one. Of course I am more than open too suggestions on other ones.

My limitation on the initial setup has to be about $1000US. The receiver keeps fluctuating between $5 & 6 hundred so that really limits my speaker budget for now.

·
Registered
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiSync /forum/post/18281819

My limitation on the initial setup has to be about $1000US. The receiver keeps fluctuating between $5 & 6 hundred so that really limits my speaker budget for now.

I think you would be better off with a refurbed $250-300 receiver and then spending $1300 or so on the speakers.

·
Registered
29,186 Posts
You should be able to find the 9040 for $525 or less. Its that price on Amazon right now. Any reason why you're set on the Pioneers? Not a bad choice though.

This Yamaha RXV-765 can be had for $399 if you purchase on Saturday.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-197-_-Product

$1000 isn't a bad place for a 5.1 speaker setup. If you mean $1000 including the receiver you should look for a less expensive receiver.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18282227

You should be able to find the 9040 for $525 or less. Its that price on Amazon right now. Any reason why you're set on the Pioneers? Not a bad choice though.

This Yamaha RXV-765 can be had for $399 if you purchase on Saturday.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-197-_-Product

$1000 isn't a bad place for a 5.1 speaker setup. If you mean $1000 including the receiver you should look for a less expensive receiver.

I became interested in the Pioneer after reading several reviews on it and some others that I was interested in that price range. Most seemed positive about it. I really just wanted a receiver that would get me out of running multiple cables to my flat panel, support multiple hdmi, component, & s-video inputs, and allow me some room for growth, plus maybe even sound decent. I actually missed being able to buy it for under 5 hundred by one day, because I was second guessing it.

As for the speakers, sure I want a super $$$$ set of speakers some day but at this point just wanted to get something that would work with the receiver. Quite frankly my Kenwood car audio sounds better than what I currently have so any thing will be a huge improvement. In looking around I noticed this RM6750 HT speaker set and looked like it might be a decent starter setup. Although I am getting the impression from the comments here that anything under 1k is not worth looking at.

That sounds like a great price on that Yamaha, by Saturday I assume you mean this coming Saturday and not last.

·
Registered
872 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiSync /forum/post/18282718

I became interested in the Pioneer after reading several reviews on it and some others that I was interested in that price range. Most seemed positive about it. I really just wanted a receiver that would get me out of running multiple cables to my flat panel, support multiple hdmi, component, & s-video inputs, and allow me some room for growth, plus maybe even sound decent. I actually missed being able to buy it for under 5 hundred by one day, because I was second guessing it.

As for the speakers, sure I want a super $$$$ set of speakers some day but at this point just wanted to get something that would work with the receiver. Quite frankly my Kenwood car audio sounds better than what I currently have so any thing will be a huge improvement. In looking around I noticed this RM6750 HT speaker set and looked like it might be a decent starter setup. Although I am getting the impression from the comments here that anything under 1k is not worth looking at.

That sounds like a great price on that Yamaha, by Saturday I assume you mean this coming Saturday and not last.

You can get a decent set of speakers for under $1000, but why buy something cheap to start with if your planning on upgrading later.

Another popular thing to do is start with a 2.1 setup and add the center channel then the rears. This while it may take longer, will lead to a much better system in the end.

If you got 2 Paradigm SE1's and a decent ED sub, that would run you about $900, but could be less if you got a discount from a dealer. Then pick up a refurbed Onkyo 507 for $250 and your in business. That receiver will decode all the latest audio codecs and is very solid.

And for even cheaper, the Paradigm mini-monitors or atoms can be had for $300-400. Both sound great

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornhulio /forum/post/18282991

Sounds like the Jamo 5.1 for $200 shipped would be a good option: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

Thanks, I think that will serve my beginner needs and seems to get good comments even here in the speaker forum. They will get me started and when more money becomes available I can start piecing together a sweet set of speakers. I won't feel near as bad about getting rid of them down the road. Heck for that price I will give them away to some friend or relative that is just starting to get interested in something other than HTIB. My main goal when I got started in all this was to get my TV up on the wall with a single hdmi wire going to it and everything I have on the TV stand wired to a receiver. Instead of the wiring mess I have now. So if nothing intervenes I am probably going to pull the trigger on those Jamos and the Pioneer 9040 tomorrow.

@Santapimp27

Thanks for all the advice, I do appreciate it. But you have to understand my money priorities are not really into speakers right now. This winter was very rough on my two houses and I am going to have to be getting at least one new roof and some repairs on the other very soon. Renters tend to get upset when the roof falls in on them. LOL If the receiver I get does not have the inputs & features I need then it defeats the purpose of the upgrade. I had already decided I would have to live with lesser speakers for now and won't mind giving away those later. Hence why I originally started the thread stupidly thinking I might be able to hook those HTIB speakers up to this receiver. Now I know that is not a good idea.

Thanks for all the input from everyone. I will let you know how it all turns out.... hopefully soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts