AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother had DISH Network and got rid of it over a year ago, the dish is still in her yard with all the cables hooked to it. My question is, can I take the dish from her yard to use for my HDTV setup? They tell me to get the 61.5 satt, I need another dish, can I swipe hers since they never picked it up? Seems like a good idea to me, so I don't have to buy another one.

Also, besides the extra dish and the 6000 box, what else do I need? Some kinda switch or something? How does this work? How do you switch channels? do you have an extra remote? Or does the same remote recognize what you are doing? I am new, and want HDTV, but I don't want a bunch of hassles with "this, that, and the other thing"! If I can use her Dish, how much will this cost?

I know I have a lot of questions, but all reply's are GREATLY APPRECIATED!

:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Joe,

You should have no problem using your mother's old dish to pick up the 61.5° sat.

From the sound of your post you are a current DISH subscriber. in order to get HD you will need, as you stated, the additional dish as well as the 6000 receiver. You will also need some sort of switch to combine the cables from each dish. The type of switch you will need depends on the number of receivers you will be hooking up. If you can give me some more details I can point you to specific wiring diagrams.

As for the remotes, each of your receivers will have it's own remote. The remotes are "addressable", which is a fancy word to tell you that you can set them up to control a specific STB. A fairly straightforward procedure to do this is in the manual for the remote.

You should be able to pick up the 6000 receiver for between $450-500. The switch will run you between $20 (for the SW21) to $130 (for the SW64), again depending on what you need.

If you want to receive your local DTV stations you will also need to factor in the cost of an OTA antenna and accessories, but that's a topic for another thread...

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask if you have additional questions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chs4,

Thanks for the help. I am a current Dish subscriber, and I was trying to think of ways to get HDTV and save a couple bucks in the process. I have only 1 TV running Dish.

You mentioned OTA anttennas, does that hook to the TV or the 6000 box? Do you have to have the 6000 to get OTA HDTV?

thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.