Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Due to renovations to our basement, I'll be losing the space for much of the throw distance for my DLP (Optoma EP750) projector. I was wondering if it would be possible to use a lens such as a camera telephoto lens to shorten the throw distance (I'm going from 9 feet to maybe 6 feet).

Has anyone ever tried this? Are there any drawbacks? I'll probably end up trying it out but I'd like to have some idea of whether it's going to work before I spend money on a telephoto lens (I'd probably just look for one off a camera with roughly the same size lens).

Otherwise, does anyone else have any suggestions - I thought of using a mirror to have a 90 degree bend in the projector "light path" which would give me a way of increasing the throw distance but that's pretty ugly.

Let me know,

Mike

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
To shorten the throw you need to have a wide angle not a telephoto.

There is a company called Buehl Optical that may be able to help.

Bear in mind that the projection angles of most projectors make it very difficult to use a different lens or lens attachment. But you can always try.

The NEC LT240K and HT1000 have very short throws, you might look at those.

Indeed, mirrors have been used for this as well. There are some previous posts, you might do a search.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.