AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The previous owner left part of a ceiling mount for a projector in my home theatre room.

I just picked up an Infocus X1 and I want to know if it's possible to re-use the mount. It looks like the anchor/plate for a pipe-type extension.

Here is a picture of what is on my ceiling now:
CeilingMount.jpg

The diameter of the threaded hole appears to be approximately 1".

Can I resuse this easily? Or is it better to go an set up something new? I thought reusing it might be easy and convenient. I know it has already been securely anchored to the ceiling.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

·
Registered
454 Posts
What he left was a simple pipe flange, probably $5-$10(USD) at Home Depot or Lowes(in USA). So, it's not like you would be wasting something of great value if you went with something else.

Quote:
Can I resuse this easily? Or is it better to go an set up something new? I thought reusing it might be easy and convenient.
It would be easier and more convenient to buy a pre-made mount like mandrax's or the infocus one. As it is almost always easier to buy something than make it yourself. I have one of mandrax's mounts and I have no problems with it. The hard part was deciding where to mount it, which seems to be solved for you.

If you wanted to build your own pipe-based mount, There's no reason to not use the flange that the previous guy left (after double checking that it is not cracked and is mounted securely).

There is a nice thread about a DIY mount somewhere in here. I was tempted, but had problem finding the parts.

·
Registered
271 Posts
bholio is right you the the $0.50 part of the mount. If you use a pipe you probably won't have much adjustment. I have one of madrax's mounts, very good price and adjustable in all planes. It is also very easy to take the projector down to do upgrades.

·
Registered
344 Posts
who_ca:

Check this thread out.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=232749

I made mine for $25 (cost me an extra $5 because I had to buy my plexiglass in a 24" X 36" piece). The vertical adjustment is provided by the pipe threads, yaw is also provided by pipe threads. Pitch is provided by the wing nuts. The hardest part in making this mount is cutting the plexiglas, and drilling holes in it. Piece of cake and a great mount.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.