901 Posts
Yep,

Firewire support would be nice.

Sort of like a poor mans SDI, maybe ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The MSRP is a very resonable $299. Moreover it is based on the other very expsensive Canopus products which are $2K+ and I know their quality. So I have very high expecations for this product. It has high end features like locked audio, etc.

I am sure this will be the ultimate way to convert analog video to digital. It is sheilded and should also have less interference. And many other advantages.

I am getting a SB Audigy so that has an IEEE1394 port and so this should hook up and ALSO leave me a free PCI slot which would otherwise be taken up by a capture card.

If dScaler can't use it is there any other software like that that can use a DV input?

Let's hope the next version of dScaler supports it. It should be easy since it is a just a digital stream, no?

Yes it does convert analog video to 720x480, but dScaler should be able to correct any aspect ratio problems, no?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think using Dscaler is out of the question since it is highly dependant on the BT chip present on TV boards, making it work with firewire would be quite an undertaking IMO.

However, it might be a great product for digital capture and playback (ala Tivo).

David.

·
Registered
830 Posts
>So which is THE best Video Capture Card to use with dScaler?

That's such a hard question.

If you believe Li On, it would be the Zoltrix version. Or perhaps Ken's modded cards.

It's so dependent on cable, pc and setup.

I would suppose that many bt8x8 cards are ok.

T.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've read here that the modified Zoltrix card from Ken (KBK) and the Falcon DFG/LC1 cards may be the best for use with DScaler. See the following threads for details:

High end DScaler cards
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=32268

DScaler card capture shootout
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=32667

I don't have any personal experience with either of the these cards and I'm still trying to figure out how I could capture to disk with these cards at [email protected] frames/sec. If anyone knows how this could be done with either of these cards I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in the feedback. So far it seems like you have to choose between DScaler and high quality hardware encoding, but I'm hoping someone has an answer for that.

-Sean

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Given the Canopus reputation, I'm sure this will be a high-quality product.

I have the Sony equivalent. (DVMC-DA2)

It works very well. I use it to convert laserdiscs to DV (so I can subtitle them.)

If you want a test clip or some screen grabs, let me know.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Defiler,

I'm just about to get started with video capture and it sounds like you have some experience in this area. You mention that you convert your laserdiscs to DV in your post and I'm wondering about the file format. I'm interested in capturing NTSC(TV) at [email protected] frames/sec as well as VHS source for editing purposes. It looks like this Canopus product converts analog to DV, but I can't figure out how it turns it into a file (and what format) for editing with something like Adobe Premiere. Could you elaborate on what software you're using along with your Sony as well as the ability to capture high quality @30 frames/sec with no drops?

TIA.

Sean

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
When you capture with these products, you end up with a 720x480 DV file, 29.97fps, 48kHz audio.

The DV format is independent from the "container" format. This means that you can end up with pretty much any file format your application supports. The two most common flavors are AVI and Quicktime. Personally, I use AVI.

Premiere is great for non-linear editing. When I want to apply something linearly to the whole capture (example: subtitles)

I use VirtualDub. I'd be hard pressed to come up with a more useful piece of free software.

There are some good (free) DV tools that I constantly make use of.. They come with the eval version of EditStudio, by PureMotion.

I use the included "DV Copy" all the time to transfer DV files back out the firewire port to VHS tape.

The Sony box never drops frames, unless you put too much load on your PC during the capture process. Definitely a good thing.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Except for the very low end models, Sony DV or D8 camcorders can perform the same function as this box (i.e. encode/decode analog video to/from DV format and output it to firewire).

For $300, some users may want to consider spending a little more and get a camcorder to boot.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Gary: Definitely a good point.

Myself, I had no real need for a low-end camcorder, so I just got the box. If I felt like I'd shoot my own video more often than twice a year, I would have gotten the cam.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.