AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use one video card with component out for distributed a/v and DVI out for my theater. I would like to upgrade to be able to playback Bluray movies with Bitstreaming. Is it possible to use two video cards at the same time, for example an Ati 4650 and a 5670. I must have component video for distributed a/v and would like to use HDMI for Bluray playback in the theater. So would this work and would I be able to set up the software to output Bluray audio via HDMI and DVD/CD audio via S/PDIF? I know I can leave it as I have it now and just have DD & DTS audio via S/PDIF but I would like to be able to use the bitstreaming DTS-HD / TrueHD audio. Upgrading the distributed a/v is not an option.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
AFAIK you can use two video cards (XP or 7) for video but only one for audio output unless you do ALC889 analog out. You need a MB with a pci16 and pci4. I have 785g IGP and ATI 5750 working fine for video.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
You can't use 2 cards to output at the same time in clone mode; only extended. So you would need a card that supports both HDMI & component out. Further, you cannot have 2 sound cards output at the same time, but you may be able to get one sound card to go to 2 outputs if you use digital (maybe HDMI) and analog. Lastly, you cannot bitstream DD/DTS out the digital and downmix for ananlog at the same time.

So, your options are to get a new video card and use a program (auto hotkey???) to switch between sound devices depending on where you want the audio routed (you may not have to do this depending on your sound device) and be able to set the decoding options of your software before playback accordingly (DD/DTS or downmix).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts