AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a backup copy of a HD-DVD in my hard drive; I use my Radeon 9600 (non-HDCP compliant) and send the signal over the DVI output to my Sanyo Z2 (theoretically HDCP compliant, but lots of users claim it's not actually HDCP-compliant or it's compliant with very few players). I user PowerDVD 6.5 since PowerDVD 7.2 just shows green bars.

In my Sanyo Z2 I choose the PC Digital input. I play the file and I can watch it. I think that's normal because the HDCP content s not actully being shown, just the analogue one (that's my guess)

Ok, I set the AV HDPC input in the Z2 and I play the fine just fine as well. But am I watching the true HDCP content???? My card is not HDCP-compliant and the Z2 is reportedly having lots of HDCP issues. What the hell am I watching then???

Since my Z2 is 720p, I play the file using the 1280x720 resolution. The max. resolution of the Z2 is 1080i, not 1080p, so I just can't watch the HD-DVDs at their full resolution. Can that explain what is happening somehow?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, but I just learned what's happening: the back-up HD-DVDs are HDCP-less, so you can play the digital content even if your display and graphics card are not HDCP-compliant.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
You can watch HD DVDs without HDCP card or monitor. Make sure the card is at least a 7600 GT or 1900X series with the latest video drivers and use either VGA or component connections.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using an old Radeon 9600 over the DVI output and it works great with the latest 7.1 Catalyst drivers.

Why do you recommend the 1900x series over the VGA/component connections? Are those any better than the DVI output?

·
Banned
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon /forum/post/0

You can watch HD DVDs without HDCP card or monitor. Make sure the card is at least a 7600 GT or 1900X series with the latest video drivers and use either VGA or component connections.

but is it running at 540p in this scenario?

·
Registered
802 Posts
The way I understand it that the whole HDCP thing is within the set top players or the software player if your using a HD-DVD. IF it's a back up on your HD then it's just a buch of data and has no HDCP built into it. Atleast that is how I understand it.

could be wrong I need to do more research.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.