AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need an automation system to control using iphone/ipod touch.

-drapes

-something to store my blu-ray and dvds in (like a hard drive, if you know a good one please tell)

-lighting (multi room)

-multizone audio

-thermostat (maybe?)

wireless would be best

i would like it all to be the same brand, like lutron or something like that..

having its own wireless controls would be nice too, and inwall controls too.

does anyone know anything about xlobby?

thanks

please give as much info as possible

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Welcome to AVS, you'll find lots of good info here.

If you search through prior threads, you'll find that your questions have been addressed before. Perhaps not in your exact phrasing, but certainly in multiple locations.

·
Registered
598 Posts
V2 of this seems a "start" for such a project - http://www.smarthome.com/2412N/Smart...troller/p.aspx

I like you am thinking about such possibilties and love the iphone for its capabilities. The thing with this product is that it's browser-agnostic so should be future proof and not dependent upon an app. Am guessing the hardest part in working with it is configuring your router and setting it up.

Any experience/thoughts from anyone on this item? Keep in mind, this is V2.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i understand. but i dont want to have to go through multiple programs and 'apps' to control the system. i wanted to take care of everything in 'one screen' so to speak, what came across was multiple programs and systems that tackled multiple features, but nothing that did everything-> through the iphone.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Can iPhone control everything?

I guess so but I've been trying to get it to pick up my dogs poop and the best I can do is get it to send my wife an email. To no avail I still have to pick it up manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedavidian /forum/post/16971372

i understand. but i dont want to have to go through multiple programs and 'apps' to control the system. i wanted to take care of everything in 'one screen' so to speak, what came across was multiple programs and systems that tackled multiple features, but nothing that did everything-> through the iphone.

to answer your question if you have a control system like crestron or any of the other "big dogs" then yes you can pretty much control whatever you want from your iPhone

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
It will take a lot of time and energy to implement your own control system, e.g. MainLobby, HomeSeer, CQC, J9, Cortexa, Premise.

It will cost a lot of money to have someone set you up with Crestron, AMX, Control4, HAI, etc.

Which do you want?

·
Registered
598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedavidian /forum/post/16971372

Sorry I'm not following you. With the Smartlinc suggestion, seems like all you do is:

1) Click Safari

2) Bookmarks

3) Select your home

4) Start turning things on/off!

One application, browser agnostic, etc.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedavidian /forum/post/16955238

I need an automation system to control using iphone/ipod touch.

-drapes

-something to store my blu-ray and dvds in (like a hard drive, if you know a good one please tell)

-lighting (multi room)

-multizone audio

-thermostat (maybe?)

wireless would be best

i would like it all to be the same brand, like lutron or something like that..

having its own wireless controls would be nice too, and inwall controls too.

does anyone know anything about xlobby?

thanks

please give as much info as possible

HAI.

Simplest and you have options. you have to do some reading cause there is a ton out there. also the amount of light, amount of music zones, the amount of zones for heat and cold play a factor. take HAI. . .one box only does 4 zones of heat and cold but the other does many more so if you have more than 4 you are already into a larger letup for HAI. you can control everything that is run over HAI on the iphone via a native HAI program for the iphone. everything programmed into the HAI controllers gets ported over to the iphone you control. this is all in it's simplest form explained of course.

jimi

·
Banned
15 Posts
I know the iphone can control sonos zone players. I was at my buddies house the other night and he showed me his set up; his desktop, iphone, two sonos zone players hooked; one for his living room and the other in his backyard.. he was controlling both with his iPhone, and it looked pretty simple. I found the zp 90 on the site for electronics expo and they had a coupon that took off $52. the coupon was JKL33X , not sure if it's still around..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have fully automated house based on AMX. It was working really fine till my dog drop touchpanel from the table got it broken. It was too pricey to buy a new one as well as to repair the broken panel. So I started to consider different solutions which provide control the whole system via iPhone 3G. There were only few AMX compatible applications: CommandFusion, iLoveControl and iRidium. I tried iRidium for free as they had a special offer (not sure whether it's finished or not). It turned out to be a pretty good remote being almost 1by1 copy of the AMX panel. And I should say yes, it can control everything. At least it conrols all the subsystems in my house.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Look into Savant's new Protege' system that should hit the market Nov.1. You can control anything from your iphone/ipod touch when your in your home or 500 miles away out of your home as long as you have 3g or internet access. Rosie can do the same thing now but with a higher price tag.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HomeLogic is a very elegant solution. Fully integrated in one interface to a wide range of subsystems and vendors.

You can get a free demo if you just download the HomeLogic app from the iTunes App Store. It connects to a live demo at the company's HQ. Works great.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redatom /forum/post/17250463

HomeLogic is a very elegant solution. Fully integrated in one interface to a wide range of subsystems and vendors.

You can get a free demo if you just download the HomeLogic app from the iTunes App Store. It connects to a live demo at the company's HQ. Works great.

Do you by any chance have a HomeLogic system?

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redatom /forum/post/17259201

We're a dealer.

I hope that business is good. I have had HomeLogic for four years now and am a very satisfied customer. I hope that the problems with economy has not hit them too hard.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Thedavidian - anything is possible. But the short answer is that the iPhone doesn't control anything. The iPhone can speak to different systems and control those systems. If you don't want more than one app on the phone to do all of this, then you need a robust automation/control system that will tie all your desired "sub-systems" together. This will provide you the "one app" control that you desire.

The real issue always comes down to $$$. As I started my post with - anything is possible - all it takes it $$$. Personally I use CQC which is a professional automation system that has historically been very DIY friendly. While there are a couple of iPhone solutions being worked on, there is nothing out of the box ready today (well you can RDP into the system using the iPhone, but I won't count that as a true CQC iPhone app).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.