AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a pure performance perspective, at what room size would you consider using a flat screen rather than an fp. We are building a new, open floor plan modern house (multiple glass walls). Functionality will be the priority in the av room(not wanting columns or tiered seating, good quality speaker stands in front are fine etc.) Will likely be buying all new equipment so can tailor to smaller room. Room is really only for 2 people watching movies and the occasional sports broadcast. Will also function as a listening room. Would like to stick with projector but realistically will be using a spare bedroom sized space (with plaster walls) for this -probably could be as big as 12X14 but maybe smaller. I would really appreciate any input from those with experience with small room theaters. Can less be more in HT?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
That's fairly small for a front projetor. Also, with multiple glass walls, light control may be a problem. The viewing distance should also be a determining factor, which is somewhat related to the room size. The closer you are, the smaller the screen. IMO, once you get to 60" or below, you'd be better off with a flatscreen.

CJ

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I went and bought a 65" Mits DLP, eventually to go in the basement behind the FP screen, to use for TV watching, saving the FP for movies.

Right now, it is sitting on a table in my living room (approx 12X15). Sitting on the couch probably puts me at about 10 feet and I LOVE IT. Especially when watching sports in HD. I noticed that the "Phillies" on their uniforms are embroidered, not just ironed or sewn on satin. Can't wait for football to start (well, OK, REAL football, not that crap they call pre-season)!

Check out some of the prices on these now and I think you'll be pretty happy.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Sure less can be more. My room, although bigger, has almost nothing in it. No posters, nothing. Just acoustic panels. A fixed screen, 7 seats and the speakers right out in the room. It's a minimalist style, and it works for me. It's clean with no clutter. 12x14 is a tad on the small side, but there is nothing to say you can do it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I noticed the "show me" thread after I posted this and saw examples of many small theaters that look great but not much mention of actual viewing experience in the small rooms. Appreciate the comment about flat screen for less than 60" and will look at big screen mits but there IS something special about FP's (especially for movies) to me. Seating would probably just be a couch 1-2 feet from back wall with components in a closet and projector on shelf on back wall. Light leakage shouldn't be a problem as this will be a conventionally walled, doored room. I'm also a little worried about sound reflection in small room even with sound treatment-Is there an advantage in this situation to smaller speakers ?(currently using older energy take 5's for HT which I like but would like to incorporate and possibly replace complete speaker system with energy ac-10's I recently got for listening to music and really like).

·
Registered
400 Posts
I agree with you, there is something more 'movie like' about watching on a front projector vs a TV. In my old apartment I used an area in my living room about 12 by 14 for my theater with a 96" 16:9 screen. It was not too big for the space. My couch was about a foot off the back wall as well. I treated the back wall with some acoustical panels, which had a positive effect on the sound (in my opinion). The physical size of the speakers does not make a huge difference, unless we are talking about massive floor standing speakers (think the large Martinlogan's or Wilson's) which really require a lot of room to sound right.

Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts