AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Just been reading about how amazing upscaling DVD players are, but seeing as I use my HTPC running MCE rather than a DVD player, my question is:

Is it possible to get MCE to upscale my DVDs using a plug in or filter?

My HTPC is:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

1GB RAM

so I guess it's powerful enough to process the video...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Your MCE PC's graphics card is allready upscaling your DVDs if you are outputting to your display at greater then 720x480. The quality of the upscaling done by your graphics card may or may not be as good as that done by a upscaling DVD player or by a third party PC software application.

·
Registered
505 Posts
To have similar quality to a GOOD upscaling player all you really need is nVidia's Pure Video codec or ATI's Avivo codec. NVidia is typically regarded as the best. If you want more control over the scaling, sharpening, and noise removal then you can use the MyMovies 2.2 plug-in for MCE which can use the TheaterTek player. The TheaterTek player comes with the NVIdia PureVideo codec and allows using something called ffdShow as a post processing filter which will allow you to tweak all you want. Search for ffdShow and you should find several comparison screen shot threads. It creates a very dynamic picture that many find more exciting than standard upconverting players.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

I have an nVidia 7600GT and use PureVideo. What kind of improvement am I likely to see if I spend the time setting up MyMovies and TheaterTek with ffdshow? Is it readily noticeable? Also, are there any opinions on whether a different graphics card would look better? I read a review recently comparing PureVideo and Avivo, and it seems that different cards produce differing results. Or maybe I'm being too picky...

·
Registered
505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk76 /forum/post/0

I'm just looking for the ffdshow shots, so forget that question!!

Also, using ffdShow has it's disadvantages. It tends to be a CPU hog (although your CPU is plenty powerful), relatively complicated to set up, and might have compatibility issues playing back some movies (usually not the blockbusters though).

If you are a tweaker then I say go for it. It's very easy to disable/enable and certainly worth a shot to try out. TheaterTek is a very nice player and has a great on screen interface. Several here recommend it as the best standalone player. It makes adjusting the aspect ratios cake walk as well as minor video tweaks (contrast, color, etc.).

·
Registered
934 Posts
Just do yourself a favor and get AnyDVD. Once installed, you will be able to playback DVDs at the higher resolution that you desire.

Alternatively, you could rip the DVD and remove the macrovision protection, but AnyDVD is easier.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've already ripped around 300 DVDs onto my server using DVDDecrypter. I'm very keen to continue using MCE as I rather like it (looks good, but simple to use), hence the original question.

I thought AnyDVD was aimed more at ripping DVDs - am I wrong?

·
Registered
505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk76 /forum/post/0

I've already ripped around 300 DVDs onto my server using DVDDecrypter. I'm very keen to continue using MCE as I rather like it (looks good, but simple to use), hence the original question.

I thought AnyDVD was aimed more at ripping DVDs - am I wrong?

That's what I thought too.

In fact, I use ANYDvd currently on my machine, but it's only purpose is to remove the CSS encryption as soon as I put a DVD in my drive. By using that I can add DVDs to the MyMovies library directly from the MyMovies GUI without having to use any import utility at all. Just put the DVD in the drive and then MyMovies asks if I want to add to library or play it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So many questions....

Is AnyDVD the best software to use for this purpose - ie does it let MyMovies rip Arccos protected DVDs?

If I use the MyMovies interface to rip the DVD does it automatically get the name of the movie, rather than me haing to enter the details into the library manager tool?

I have installed MyMovies, but not downloaded TheaterTek yet - is the playback experience still seamless if I choose to use TheaterTek instead of MCE? Does the standard MCE remote still work, and will it let me return to the MCE frontend easily? I'm reluctant to do anything that means I will need to use the keyboard/mouse to help operate the system...

Thanks!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
i have MCE 2005, theatertek installed, and nvidia post-processing checked on. PQ is decent so far, and I have ripped some movies to my hard drive using DVD decrypter. I cant stand the MyMovies plugin, its ugly and performance is terrible. Playing back ripped movies with theatertek is seamless and the remote works perfectly

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
May I ask how you have MCE set up to use TheaterTek to play back DVDs? I too take issue with the look of MyMovies (compared to, say MyDVDs using the DVDXML files to provide movie information)...

The main reason I installed MyMovies was so that I could try using TheaterTek!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts