AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a samsung RPTV, (hcl473w) i recently bought an ATI HDTV adapter, and to be honest... i was terribly dissapointed with my sets "high def" output, my dad owns a 65" Sony RPTV and he just bought an ATI all in wonder 9800 pro (HDTV adapter included, i have the all radeon 9800 pro, bought adapter separately).

When i hooked it up i expected similar results to my samsung (unreadable windows text at 1080i resolution) but.. to my surprise it looked nearly PERFECT!, i was very impressed by that set (and made me even more dissapointed about my samsung).

I've identified some geometry problems with my set on the right side of the screen, (not that this has anything to do with blurring) my question is, does the "blurred" text on my set a limitation of the CRT's on my set? or could a calibration help it out? (could it be an out of focus issue?)

I know it would help out that small geometry problem i found.. (anyone who owns one please share your views!).

On my dad's RPTV i can actually use windows for anything i please (web vewing, etc, this is btw, a 65" sony 1080i RPTV) while on my computer i have to set evrything from my 17" monitor so i can watch it on the big screen, so basicly this means i can't use the RPTV as a monitor at all, high definition clips look "ok" on it, but it just makes me wonder how good they would look if my set actually resolved the resolution it's supposed to be displaying.

My set only has 1080i, 480p and 480i settings, even at 480p the text looks kinda blurred.. (hell, im guessing the only reason i can read it is because it's way bigger at 480p)

my dad's sony has a 720 setting, wich by the way.. is ALLMOST porgressive!, on 1080i on both sets i could easily spot intercale artifacts on windows menus, etc. when i set the 720p setting on my dad's RPTV i expected to see artifacts too cause i knew it wasn't a "true" 720 display and was just emulating the resolution.. to my surprise, i coulnt see artifacts at all on menus!, but, on some items i could see a LITTLE artifacts due to intercale, but very, very minimal (i'm guessing they use a higher refresh rate??), err, i deviated from my original question, but i just thought it was an intresting finding to share with you guys =P.

Anyway, if anyone can answer my original question wich basicly boils down to "can my HDTV be saved?" cause i _THINK_ it's out of focus, or is it just a hardware limitation that can't be overcomed? thanks to all in advance!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.