AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a HT room with very mediocre sound quality. The room was built by the previous owner and has a lot of windows and doors. The room is 16 x 18 x 12 feet. The 5 in-wall speakers are placed 7.5 feet up, above the doors and below some windows. I get lots of slap echo with these speakers. Oh, and the speakers are fairly low-end, I believe: a company called TruAudio.

I recently moved my Thiel CS2.3 and SCS-3 speakers into this room for my LCRs and the sound quality improved significantly. But my Girlfriend HATES the look of these speakers at the front of the room. Oh, and did I mention the center channel is in front of a fireplace (with a plasma above the fireplace). None of this is ideal.

So can this room be saved? Are there in-wall speakers that could excel in this environment? I haven't torn apart the walls, but I think the LCR speakers will be size limited as well. Maybe only something that can fit between existing joists (16").

Thanks for your help and/or condolences!

Greg

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
Budget? Pics? In-wall only, or on-wall ok? In either case, can the speakers be lowered? Thiel speakers implies you like very accurate, uncolored sound? Would this be an accurate assessment? Have you looked into room treatments? Echo will destroy most speaker systems, no matter the price.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll post a picture of the room tonight. My budget is ~$3K (for LCR). I'm willing to consider on-wall. The speakers can't be lowered unless I put them on the floor like I have the Thiels right now. There is a door below the speaker enclosure and a window above. The wall area that the L and R speakers are located is only 20 inches tall and is above a french door. Are there on- or in-wall speakers that can pivot the tweeters downward? I have more flexibility with the surrounds as there are built-in bookcases behind the sitting position and bookshelf speakers are an easy option.

Also, I should mention my other equipment. I have an Integra 80.3 with Audessey XT32, a Sunfire Grand Amp (5x200W) and a new HSU VTF3-mk5 subwoofer.

·
Registered
476 Posts
But my Girlfriend HATES the look of these speakers at the front of the room.
Remember this before you think about proposing. It will only become worse after you are married and she wants the house to be pretty. :D

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
If it were me, I'd put thin speakers just to the right and left of the TV, and go phantom center. If a third speaker in required, put it above the TV, or better yet, move the TV slightly higher and install below. Then, I'd remove the speakers above the doors and in their place mount some sort of sound absorbing artwork. The more carpeting, wall art (non-glass) and such you can get into the room, the better off you will be. Perhaps some curtains for the recessed windows above? Tough room ... sound quality-wise.

As far as speakers, take a look at on wall speakers from Totem, Paradigm, Def Tech, PSB, and Golden Ear. Then see if you can find a local demo of the ones you are interested in hearing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts