AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mounted my new samsung pn58a650 yesterday to the wall with my peerless. It is supposed to work for all widescreens up to 60". HOwever, it doesn't give me a warm cozy. I am a structural engineer (which may be making me paranoid). I know that I need to hit hte center of a stud, but two studs for something this heavy just makes me a bit nervous. IT is rated at 200 lb and htis is getting very close (I hope the 200 lb is the "safe capacity" and the ultimate is higher. Three studs would cetainly make me feel better.

Also - has anyone had any trouble with getting both arms to fit "snugly" over the wall mount? On one side, the arm is actually in bearing over the rim of the wall mount, but on the other it is not . . .it's bearing somewehre else as there is an air gap under the arm. Anyone else have this issue? It seems very hard to fix by yourself once it is on the walll.

·
Registered
51 Posts
From one structural engineer to another . . . it sounds like you're more worried about the studs than the connection to the studs. You figure 100 lbs per stud, acting maybe 12" from the stud face, the bending moment on that will be less than your typical wind load. I wouldn't worry about it. Hell, why not calc it out! I'd be worried about the connection. But if it's connected via lag screws a couple inches into the stud, you know that's a few hundred pounds of withdrawal capacity per inch of penetration and plenty of shear capacity

On the other hand, it sounds like the mount itself is a bit goofy.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childressva01 /forum/post/15476155

Also - has anyone had any trouble with getting both arms to fit "snugly" over the wall mount? On one side, the arm is actually in bearing over the rim of the wall mount, but on the other it is not . . .it's bearing somewehre else as there is an air gap under the arm. Anyone else have this issue? It seems very hard to fix by yourself once it is on the walll.

i have never done a peerless but the only time i have encountered un-evenness in the brackets is when the wall was not flat the wall plate started warp as i tightened the lags....if you are facing that, use washers (other spacers) and make sure the wall plate is not getting distorted.

alternately...as slabshaft points out, possibly a goofy mount

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Model number is ST660

Actually not worried about stud failure - but the pullout/rip out failure. Thanks for thenumber on the embedment (I'ma a bridge guy - steel and concrete, very little exp with timber!!). That makes me feel a lot better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts