AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Sharp 46D62U and was paranoid about the banding issue. I've looked and looked and don't see it, so maybe it won't be an issue.

Now on to the question. I'm deciding between an Oppo 981 HD which upconverts to 720p/1080i and 1080p or the new Toshiba HD player for $4-500 that puts out at least 1080i (don't know if it puts out 1080p).

I know what looks better is often a competetion between the scalers of the TV vs the DVD player. But before I make a decision, does anyone know if the TV I have will accept a 1080p signal via HDMI?

I don't think the JVS LCD I was considering did and that's why I'm asking. If it does, I'd have to compare the pictures of the Oppo putting out 480i/p and letting the Sharp upscale vs the same for 1080i and p (if the TV accepts 1080p), right?

And if the HD player puts out 1080p (I thought I read that they only put out 1080i, but the image is burned on the HD dvds in something higher than 480p), I need to know whether my Sharp can accept 1080p in, I think.

Thanks for any answers and input!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
First yes the 62u accepts 1080p signal. As far as DVD player, it depends. The toshiba is a HD-DVD player where as the Oppo is a upconverting standard player. So the Oppo will not play HD-dvd's where as the Toshiba will play and upconvert regular DVD's. Only the Blue Ray DVD player and disks will are true 1080p. Now your TV will convert a 1080i signal to 1080p. It's a hard choice. I'm currenly waiting for the format wars to end before I jump into the HD DVD's.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Yes, the D62 Sharp WILL accept a 1080p input via it's HDMI and Component connections. I use 1080p via hdmi from my computer (old nvidia graphics card) without a hitch and it looks fabulous. I use 1080p component from my Xbox 360, 1080i looks good to from the HD-DVD add on.

Get the HD-DVD player for your Sharp, nothing like true 1080 source material for your 1080 display. The current HD-DVD players output at 1080i, with newer versions (maybe out already) having the ability to output at 1080p. The deinterlacer in the Sharp is pretty good, so I doubt if you'd see any noticeable difference between 1080i and 1080p on your Aquos.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaCoker /forum/post/0

First yes the 62u accepts 1080p signal. As far as DVD player, it depends. The toshiba is a HD-DVD player where as the Oppo is a upconverting standard player. So the Oppo will not play HD-dvd's where as the Toshiba will play and upconvert regular DVD's. Only the Blue Ray DVD player and disks will are true 1080p. Now your TV will convert a 1080i signal to 1080p. It's a hard choice. I'm currenly waiting for the format wars to end before I jump into the HD DVD's.

FUD POLICE

You were good till the end. BOTH HD DVD and Bluray are 1080P 24fps on the disc. There has not been one interlaced title for either format. Both formats do support interlaced content if needed (i.e sports content).

The entry level Toshiba only outputs 1080i but since the original content was 1080p conversion back to 1080i is simple and can be performed with 0 loss in quality on your HDTV. The higher end Toshiba does output 1080p (but costs about $1000).

While staying out of the HD "war" is a good idea the advantage the Toshiba offers is that it is one of the best upconverting DVD players on the market. Many have compared it to the Denons at twice the price. So if the OP was planning on spending $200 on a upconverting player anyways then getting the Toshiba is a steal. For $200-$300 more you get one of the best upconverting players for SD DVD and the option to watch HD DVD also. Of course if you already have a high end upconverting DVD player then it becomes harder to justify the price.

I would go with the Toshiba (I own the older HD-A1) I would recommend the newer A2 over the A1 unless you need 6 channel analog out. If you do decide to pick up a HD player then check out the HD DVD Software forum. You can find a list of the very best HD discs. The very best discs are simply hands down the best PQ I have ever seen on a home theater.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahtanoj /forum/post/0

I just bought a Sharp 46D62U and was paranoid about the banding issue. I've looked and looked and don't see it, so maybe it won't be an issue.

I know what looks better is often a competetion between the scalers of the TV vs the DVD player. But before I make a decision, does anyone know if the TV I have will accept a 1080p signal via HDMI?

Your TV accepts 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p via HDMI and component.

Quote:
And if the HD player puts out 1080p (I thought I read that they only put out 1080i, but the image is burned on the HD dvds in something higher than 480p), I need to know whether my Sharp can accept 1080p in, I think.

All discs are 1080p.

The HD-A2 outputs 1080i which your TV will deinterlace back to 1080p. The HD-XA2 (about $1000) outputs 1080p. Toshiba has announced a new middle level HD player that outputs 1080p for around $600 but it is not in stores yet.

All of the players support multiple output resolutions up to their max. All support 480i/p, 720p and 1080i. The two higher end players add 1080p option.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you know what chipset the Toshiba uses?

I have an old Yamaha DVD player with the Faroudja chipset and an older Panny. Both are 5 disc players which I hardly used as such and to be honest, I prefer the simplicity of a single disc player. I was going to replace at least one of them anyway. And neither have DVI/HDMI or upconvert. I'll lose the 5.1 analog out, but I can always use my yamaha for the basment when I get it up and running again for DVD audio. My projector (also Sharp) is only 720p - not that there's anything wrong with that - and it lacks any digital inputs (component only), so if and when I have them money, I'll upgrade that as well, but it may be a couple of years, so I want to enjoy the LCD for now.

So it sounds like a vote or two for the Toshiba. And that the scaler on my Sharp is good enough (and that not much is lost from 1080i - 1080p) so it's worth $400-500 but not really worth (to me) $800 more for the Toshiba that outputs 1080p or waiting for the LG or other universal player at $1k or more.

Sorry to turn this into a DVD post - it was really a LCD combo post.

Does Perfect Vision test and rate HD DVD players? Do I NOT worry about the Toshiba's performance in the areas that TPV tests (chroma, layer tests, time to start up and layer changes, correct flags, etc.)?

·
Registered
9,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by namechamps /forum/post/0

FUD POLICE

You were good till the end. BOTH HD DVD and Bluray are 1080P 24fps on the disc. There has not been one interlaced title for either format. Both formats do support interlaced content if needed (i.e sports content).

Were Smallville and Sopranos 1080i or 1080p?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahtanoj /forum/post/0

Do you know what chipset the Toshiba uses?

Not sure. I bought it because I heard it upconverted DVD very well and it has done that. I am sure there are some reviews online or you could drop a post in the HD DVD Hardware forum. The high end player (HD-XA2) has Silicon Optix Reon-VX deinterlacer which is considered rather high end. Exactly what makes it so great I don't really know.

Quote:
So it sounds like a vote or two for the Toshiba. And that the scaler on my Sharp is good enough (and that not much is lost from 1080i - 1080p)

Just want to be clear. There is 0 loss of quality in the 1080p > 1080i > 1080p conversion. The entire original 1080p frame can be recovered. With SD DVD the content is encoded and stored on the disc as compressed 480i frames which makes deinterlacing much more difficult and leads to artifacts when displayed on a progressive screen.

Quote:
Does Perfect Vision test and rate HD DVD players? Do I NOT worry about the Toshiba's performance in the areas that TPV tests (chroma, layer tests, time to start up and layer changes, correct flags, etc.)?

I am sure they have but I don't have a link. Almost everyone reviewed the HD-A1 when it came out. The 2nd gen HD-A2 is what is on the market now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.