AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Except for one old CRT, all the televisions here are recent HD models. If I didn't have a pay service plugged into the cable inputs, could I use them for an additional OTA antenna?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy /forum/post/19644720

Darn. They've got the ATSC tuners already.

It might not be quite that bad. Some TVs have a separate memory for OTA channels than cable channels. If you can change input modes without the TV forcing you to re-scan, it might remember the OTA channels separately from the cable channels, and allow you to switch without rescanning.

However, even if this is the case, you must switch both the cable input (A/B switch) and the tuner mode every time you change from one to the other, and usually, on TVs, changing the tuner input mode is a non-trivial menu operation.

It would probably be much simpler to rent a cable box and use the HDMI inputs of the TV for the cable box, and connect the TVs F-Connector up to the antenna.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP /forum/post/19644775

It might not be quite that bad. Some TVs have a separate memory for OTA channels than cable channels. If you can change input modes without the TV forcing you to re-scan, it might remember the OTA channels separately from the cable channels, and allow you to switch without rescanning.

However, even if this is the case, you must switch both the cable input (A/B switch) and the tuner mode every time you change from one to the other, and usually, on TVs, changing the tuner input mode is a non-trivial menu operation.

It would probably be much simpler to rent a cable box and use the HDMI inputs of the TV for the cable box, and connect the TVs F-Connector up to the antenna.

Thanks for chiming in DAP. I'm looking at the potential for multiple antennas for free OTA TV. Not being able to record, without input adjustments, is not a concern.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me follow up on this. In a local thread, someone reported hooking up an antenna and only receiving rf 9 & rf 10. As it turns out, the problem was that a cable search was used. An air search brought in the uhf channels as well. I wouldn't mind if a cable search could only get vhf OTA. It could help with the "vhf nightmare" too.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP
I know for a fact the new LG's and Zenith TV's can save data from OTA and cable in the channel line-up, but you still need some kind of external A/B switch. I don't think OTA signals and cable signals can co-exist on the same cable.

Some TV's have 2 coax inputs like my 2006 Mitsubishi DLP, so I can switch inputs from the remote.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy
Thanks for chiming in DAP. I'm looking at the potential for multiple antennas for free OTA TV. Not being able to record, without input adjustments, is not a concern.
Not sure if this helps you or not, but here is what I have.

I have an antenna aimed at Mt Wilson for the LA stations. It is connected to the cabling in my house for 5 TVs. For my main TV in the living room, it goes into my DVR then to my TV via an HDMI cable. I also have a separate antenna that picks up the San Diego stations. That cable is connected directly to the back of my TV.

I watch the LA stations thru the tuner in my DVR then hit the input button on the remote to switch the source to TV to watch the San Diego stations.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy /forum/post/19644720

Darn. They've got the ATSC tuners already.

What do you mean? Do you mean they already have external ATSC tuner boxes? If so, then you can connect a second antenna to the antenna input on the TV, but the likelihood of your being able to ever empower the cable TV tuner to tune UHF broadcast signals is negligible.

Or as ProjectSHO89 said, you might be able to get the "cable" input to tune and process VHF ATSC channels, if that might help you in your situation. Some internal digital cable tuners will process ATSC signal when in cable STD mode provided it is "on channel", which the VHF signals are, but some won't. I actually take advantage of that capability in commercial headends where I electronically shift the UHF ATSC channels to FCC STD hyperband channels so that I can mix them with 40 or more analog standard channels in the same system. I do that for hotels and retirement homes, but the hardware cost of frequency converting them runs nearly $1,000 per channel.

In Los Angeles, last I knew, there was a VHF channel 12 that was not part of the main transmitter cluster, and some people needed a different heading for that VHF antenna, though they could probably have joined it to their UHF only antenna line and fed it into a single tuner using a $3 UHF/VHF combiner, commonly called a UVSJ.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike /forum/post/19653815

In Los Angeles, last I knew, there was a VHF channel 12 that was not part of the main transmitter cluster, and some people needed a different heading for that VHF antenna, though they could probably have joined it to their UHF only antenna line and fed it into a single tuner using a $3 UHF/VHF combiner, commonly called a UVSJ.

According to TV fool there is something coming out of Temecula on 12. Analog 12 from Tijuana often comes in pretty strong here.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 /forum/post/19650811

Cable channels 7-13 and ATSC channels 7-13 happen to be the same. You might get your 7-13 OTA channels via the CABLE input if you're "lucky".

I haven't plugged a pair of rabbit ears into any of the cable inputs to find out. It would be nice if luck could be taken out of the equation. I know, when watching cable, the set up still has air, cable, or air/cable options.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts