AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I believe they are both 8 ohm speakers of reasonable efficiency. I see no reason both would not work well with any receiver.

Usually, the higher model has a larger cabinet, lower bass, better efficiency and higher power handling rating. I did not compare the Polk models you mentioned, I am just listing generalities.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If that's true, I can't infer that from the specs.

Some people worry about impedance dips, but they are normal. Only if the dip was unsually bad I would think there would be a potential issue, and that would only present itself under certain signal conditions.

I think some proof would have to be offered that the 70 behaved worse than the 60 in some real world aspect.

You could always email Polk, but good luck getting an answer from someone who really has the proper knowledge to evaluate the situation.

Honestly, I sometimes suspect people say these things because they THINK THEY have a good enough receiver, and are smug about it or something. Abnecdotal evidence is always suspect. Do they give a reason for their statement? If for example, they compared the 60 to the 70 and found out that one was distorting at lower volumes in their system, then I think we have some evidence.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reasons given are mostly "because they would sound better/fuller". They don't seem to be high-end speakers so I don't get why I would need a beefier receiver. Is it the amount of drivers on the 70's the reason? I'm only going for a 5.1 setup.

from polk 70's specs

Recommended Amplifier Power 20 - 275 w/channel

my receiver

RMS Output Power (1kHz) 90W x 7

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
I believe the reason is the higher the power of the reciever, the more ability it has to give more power to the speakers as they need it (for say bass heavy or very fast music).

Just about any receiver can power them to some extent, but the more power they have at the ready the better you may find they sound.

Start with what you got and listen to it. Then decide if its good enough or if you want to research it more and look into separates or a beefier receiver.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
A receiver w/ pre-outs paired with a dedicated amp for the speakers.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
As long as you are not clipping under load now, you should notice no difference with a more powerful receiver.

This is true of all speakers. From an electrical engineering perspective, unused capacity just sits there being unhelpful. By unused I mean power you never ever use. Of course you will need much more power on peaks than average power - this is assumed...expect at least a 10 dB difference between peak and average demand, possibly much more (such as movies, which go from very quite to very loud)

On the other hand, excessive clipping will cause audible distortion. This is true of all amps.

Possible valid reasons to need more power for one speaker, than another -

* The speaker is annoying inefficient (like my B&W center channel speaker)

* The speaker has low impedance; some receivers simply won't be able to reach desired output when driving low impedance speakers

* In some cases, which don't seem common, a speaker may present a difficult load due to some atypical impedance characteristics - this is like the situation above, but would not necessarily be obvious from the specs

I have read of no other scenario. With no evidence, I still think the two Polk speakers you mention should behave in a similar fashion with respect to being powered by the 6150. If you lack power on one, you probably lack power on another.

Reduce volume in that case
Or buy a bigger amp

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I meant amp generically. A receiver with more power is one option. An external amp like the one you put up a link to is an option as well. But I would not buy one until you were sure your #1 audio problem was insufficient power.

An amp requires a receiver with pre out connections. There are some (somewhat affordable amps,) if that's an option you feel you need. And plenty of discussion on amps in general, in this forum.

I added an amp to my setup, and did not notice any obvious improvement.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoney /forum/post/19655906

Thanks again. Getting a better receiver seems less headache.

It's hard to disagree with that statement

Just remember, you need twice the power for any gain you would call significant.

Manufacturer's specs won't help much in determining which receivers have twice the power as your current receiver, because they will be optimistic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.