AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the modern TV world, recently acquiring an LG 3D set. Installation was easy into my home theater. My trusty 9 yr old Yamaha rx-v3200 has plenty of optical inputs to support my HD TiVo, LG 3D blu-ray, Xbox360, with room to spare. HDMI from video sources to TV, optical cables from audio sources to Yamaha. Piece of cake.

Immediately upon seeing the pretty picture, I wondered why I waited so long to say goodbye to our 300 lb. Pioneer 58" CRT projection HDTV. Both the TV and the receiver were considered pretty much top of the line, back in their prime. After wowing at the picture, I was unwowed by how much the lips lagged the voices. The sound was 100ms+ faster! Not watchable in this state.

Changing cables, changing connections, even letting the Yamaha switch component to the TiVo, nothing helped. Called LG, wrote about my woes here, it's like few, if any, have issues.

The money I spent in 2002 on state of the art HDTV with surround sound was a rather large wad. Is it really obsolete 9 years later? Obviously, the answer is yes.

The TV showed it age, the CRT's were growing dimmer, cleaning didn't help, the picture was slowly getting too dark to enjoy full time. Dark scenes were too dark. It was a great realiable TV, but alas, time for the pasture. The Yamaha with it's Burr-Brown DAC's and 150W per channel and 6 channel DVD-A capabilities is still wonderful. It can switch component video, which was all it needed then. It's musically matched to my PSB Stratus speakers and provides bliss to my ears even after all these years.

The thought of amputating this receiver from my system pains me. It's not the receiver's fault. It hasn't failed in any way, shape, or form. Yet, the pretty new TV sits there unwilling to work with the old receiver.

Currently, I've compromised. Audio out from the TV to the receiver provides 2.1 for the TiVo and Xbox and puts them in sync. The LG Blu-Ray doesn't have any sync issues processing throught the receiver, so at least we have glorious thundering surround sound for movies. I'm guessing the TV does less processing with DVD/BluRay, so the video gets passed quicker and sync's with audio.

So, alas, I post here waiting for a miracle. Hoping to keep my system in tact. Do I blame the LG? Is it LCD/LED? Is it 3D? Is it just the digital world? What is slowing down the video processing to this point? Is it standard procedure now to adjust an AVR's audio delay for each new TV that comes into a home theater?

I think I can buy an audio delay box for ~$200 or a whole new AVR for quite a bit more. Are these my alternatives? Are all TV's basically built with slow video processing? I'm about 20 days into this set, and returning it is still an option, I just don't know if it's worth the effort and if they're all about the same anyway.

If you've read this far, then thanks for taking the time. I enjoy this forum and appreciate the knowledgable folks that peruse it to offer assistance.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I've read this far but I may have missed my question's answer.

Do you have the tv's sound running from the tv out to the receiver OR do you have the tv's sound running out of an HD cable/sat box directly into the receiver via optical?

I have the optical from my cable box straight into the receiver and I turn off the tv sound and it works well.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 /forum/post/20866590

I've read this far but I may have missed my question's answer.

Do you have the tv's sound running from the tv out to the receiver OR do you have the tv's sound running out of an HD cable/sat box directly into the receiver via optical?

I have the optical from my cable box straight into the receiver and I turn off the tv sound and it works well.

thanks, in the first paragraph, I mention "HDMI from video sources to TV, optical cables from audio sources to Yamaha". When I say "audio sources" I was inferring the audio sources as the same video sources, ie: TiVo, Xbox, Blu-Ray. So yes, directly from HD TiVo, etc., into receiver via optical.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I'll just throw this out as a remote possible solution. I don't use HDMI from my cable box to my tv, I use the red/green/blue component cable instead. If possible try attaching your Tivo to the tv with component instead of HDMI. Broadcast tops out at 1080i and component carries that fine. Might synch the sound better as component requires less processing than HDMI.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think you said that the audio was ahead of the video, such that adding delay to the audio would sync them up. (It also sounded like the problem was only with some sources, but not all, so perhaps the amount of audio delay needed is variable, depending on which audio input you're talking about.

Doesn't your Yamaha receiver have the ability to add delay to the audio? I have a Yamaha receiver without HDMI (not sure exactly how old, but the model number is RX-V750), and it has the ability to add 0-160 msec of delay to the audio. But what I don't know is if the delay parameter can be set separately for different audio inputs. (You would think it would make sense to have it be separately settable for different inputs, but my manual is unclear on this point.)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 /forum/post/20866914

I'll just throw this out as a remote possible solution. I don't use HDMI from my cable box to my tv, I use the red/green/blue component cable instead. If possible try attaching your Tivo to the tv with component instead of HDMI. Broadcast tops out at 1080i and component carries that fine. Might synch the sound better as component requires less processing than HDMI.

thanks, yes, I mentioned letting the AVR switch component, so yes I tried component direct to TV AND letting the Yamaha pass the component video, figuring if both the audio and video get to the receiver, it might sync them, but nothing makes a difference.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschleicher /forum/post/20866963

I think you said that the audio was ahead of the video, such that adding delay to the audio would sync them up. (It also sounded like the problem was only with some sources, but not all, so perhaps the amount of audio delay needed is variable, depending on which audio input you're talking about.

Doesn't your Yamaha receiver have the ability to add delay to the audio? I have a Yamaha receiver without HDMI (not sure exactly how old, but the model number is RX-V750), and it has the ability to add 0-160 msec of delay to the audio. But what I don't know is if the delay parameter can be set separately for different audio inputs. (You would think it would make sense to have it be separately settable for different inputs, but my manual is unclear on this point.)

My Yamaha does not have the ability to delay audio. If it did, I wouldn't feel like a rookie here. We just held onto our old analog CRT TV longer than most and now I have to catch up on issues that were probably discussed 5 years ago.

Is it standard operating procedure to have to sync the pictures and audio for the new TV's or does most everyone have sync'd A/V right out of the box?

My main TV watching sourse if TiVo. It has it's own delay of sorts as it records while it plays. There was never delay with the analog TV. So same everything, except TV and now the sync issue.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobuick86 /forum/post/20867100

My Yamaha does not have the ability to delay audio. If it did, I wouldn't feel like a rookie here. We just held onto our old analog CRT TV longer than most and now I have to catch up on issues that were probably discussed 5 years ago.

Is it standard operating procedure to have to sync the pictures and audio for the new TV's or does most everyone have sync'd A/V right out of the box?

My main TV watching sourse if TiVo. It has it's own delay of sorts as it records while it plays. There was never delay with the analog TV. So same everything, except TV and now the sync issue.

I can remember having a DirecTV Tivo and HD-DVD player connected via HDMI to my tv and optical digital to a non-HDMI receiver--in my case a nice Harman Kardon.

I had no lipsynch problems. The receiver did have an audio delay setting but I never had to use it. The tv was an '06 model Sony SXRD rear projection.

I think it's fair to assume that your tv has a lot more processing going on than mine did, or it's processing is slower.

When I added Blu Ray I ran out of HDMI inputs on the tv so upgraded to an HDMI capable receiver.

If it's any consolation you could justify the reciever upgrade as being necessary to decode DTS-MA and Dolby Tru-HD.

Replacing the AVR will definitely solve the problem--Using HDMI automatically compensates for audio delay.

You could, on the other hand, swap out your new tv for something else and maybe, just maybe, on the 6th or 7th try find a set that isn't as bad.

·
Registered
19,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobuick86 /forum/post/20867100

I have a Yamaha receiver, HTR-3064, and have never had an audio sync problem. Everything worked perfectly right out of the box so maybe it's time to upgrade your receiver?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Similar situation to the original poster.......I just picked up a Samsung LN46D630 and have an old Denon AVR-3300. Tivo => HDMI out to TV and Optical out to AVR. Slight syncing issues with the video being behind.

1) Did the original poster solve his issue?

2) I'm assuming the only answer is to get a new receiver that allows a delay setting for the audio?

For the newer AVRs.....do people recommend routing both audio and video via HDMI through them....or still doing the split?

-Kevin

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Kevin, I sucked it up and bought a new AVR. There isn't much of an alternative because a decent audio delay box alone is $250+. Chalk it up to progress?

HDMI brings the best video and audio. However, redudancy allows you to watch one program and listen to another. For instance, I listen to music while I play xbox video golf. So you can wire things multiple ways and then choose the inputs of your liking for both video and audio.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobuick86 /forum/post/21512824

Hey Kevin, I sucked it up and bought a new AVR. There isn't much of an alternative because a decent audio delay box alone is $250+. Chalk it up to progress?

HDMI brings the best video and audio. However, redudancy allows you to watch one program and listen to another. For instance, I listen to music while I play xbox video golf. So you can wire things multiple ways and then choose the inputs of your liking for both video and audio.

Thanks for the update.

Are you running the HDMI into the AVR and out to the TV as well as running dedicated Optical Audio to the AVR?

How much delay did you end up having to use to get things to sync up?

And if you don't mind me asking....what AVR did you end up with?

-Kevin

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb /forum/post/21516011

Thanks for the update.

Are you running the HDMI into the AVR and out to the TV as well as running dedicated Optical Audio to the AVR?

How much delay did you end up having to use to get things to sync up?

And if you don't mind me asking....what AVR did you end up with?

-Kevin

I purchased a Yamaha rx-a800 when Newegg had them for $290 late last fall. It's a quite capable AVR and I've always run external amps for the mains. The AVR powers only the center and surrounds @95W per, I think.

Yes, I'm running multiple streams for both audio and video so I can watch one stream and listen to another. I run ARC for TiVo/Netflix and BluRay.

I run the Xbox360 HDMI directly to the TV. I can then run PC mode input to remove most video processing because my TV creates a lot of controller lag.

If I remember, my audio delay is 145ms.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobuick86 /forum/post/21524446

I purchased a Yamaha rx-a800 when Newegg had them for $290 late last fall. It's a quite capable AVR and I've always run external amps for the mains. The AVR powers only the center and surrounds @95W per, I think.

Yes, I'm running multiple streams for both audio and video so I can watch one stream and listen to another. I run ARC for TiVo/Netflix and BluRay.

I run the Xbox360 HDMI directly to the TV. I can then run PC mode input to remove most video processing because my TV creates a lot of controller lag.

If I remember, my audio delay is 145ms.

Thanks for the info. Ended up getting a Yamaha RX-V471 today.....I'm not an audiophile....so for $299 it does the job perfectly!! Ended up with a delay of 122ms and it sounds just about perfect.

Thanks for the reply!

-Kevin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.