AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SVS tall cylinder powered sub in my main HT area. I do not have it in the optimum place. I have always felt buying this big thing and putting it in my living room was a mistake.

I was downstairs looking at my discarded equipment today when I came across two NHT subs. One is a SW-2 and the other is a SW-2P with a MA-1A amp. I tested the two and I could only get the SW-2P working.

I have a new Denon AVR-4311ci on order. It has two sub outputs. I am wondering if the two NHT's could be the best answer.

Could I turn both of these subs into powered subs by adding sub amplifiers from Parts Express? It would require increasing the opening where the connecters are. The current opening is 4" x 3.5". I was thinking of adding the Dayton SA100 sub amp, which requires a 6 1/2" x 7 1/2" opening.

Thanks for your help.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy /forum/post/19632530

I have a SVS tall cylinder powered sub in my main HT area. I do not have it in the optimum place. I have always felt buying this big thing and putting it in my living room was a mistake.

I was downstairs looking at my discarded equipment today when I came across two NHT subs. One is a SW-2 and the other is a SW-2P with a MA-1A amp. I tested the two and I could only get the SW-2P working.

I have a new Denon AVR-4311ci on order. It has two sub outputs. I am wondering if the two NHT's could be the best answer.

Could I turn both of these subs into powered subs by adding sub amplifiers from Parts Express? It would require increasing the opening where the connecters are. The current opening is 4" x 3.5". I was thinking of adding the Dayton SA100 sub amp, which requires a 6 1/2" x 7 1/2" opening.

Thanks for your help.

I have an old NHT SW-2P and MA-1A amp. Back in 1994 (?) when I bought it, it was considered a good sub. By today's standards, it sucks. Compared to my other subs it sounds boomy and it does not play clean. I have it sitting in storage.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/19632724

I have an old NHT SW-2P and MA-1A amp. Back in 1994 (?) when I bought it, it was considered a good sub. By today's standards, it sucks. Compared to my other subs it sounds boomy and it does not play clean. I have it sitting in storage.

I thought I saw that old NHT in your HT pictures. Are you suggesting that I take the 10" woofer out of each one and build new subwoofers? Or are you saying that the 10" woofers are junk, and newer stuff is much better?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.