AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend, I picked up a Sammy 6187 from Circuit City as an Open Box special. $1950. The price was so good, I bought it on the spot.

I get this thing delivered and the picture is incredible. My wife and I've never seen such clarity -- even on our old 61" CRT set. I have a 720p projector in our upstairs theater and this TV blows that image away.

Only one problem...I'm going crazy seeing rainbows. My upstairs projector is an LCD and I've never owned a DLP before. My wife doesn't see the rainbows, but I do. Last night, I was watching Empire on Universal HD and the entire movie is dark with bright highlights. Rainbows were everywhere.

My thing is this -- I love the picture so much, I really don't want to return the set, yet they do bother me. Is the Sony 60A2000 gonna give as good a picture? In Circuit City, it looked soft and bland.

Can one learn to accept the rainbows over time or should I admit defeat and exchange for another model? Suggestions? Recommendations?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad /forum/post/0

...provided you don't see a rainbow-like effect on plasmas....
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=603995
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post9333702

According to that thread, people that see rainbows on DLPs are likely to see the rainbow-like effect on plasmas. Unfortunately, I'm one of them.

I see rainbows on DLP's, and reluctantly returned a very nice Toshiba 1080p DLP after a week of constant irritation. It seemed the longer I watched it the more I noticed rainbows. I went with a Sony A-2000 SXRD instead. Much easier on the eyes, and great overall PQ, BUT some issues with color uniformity and bluish blacks that irritate me a bit. As for true rainbow effect on plasma, that is simply impossible. The reason DLP has rainbows is due to the colors being made from a color wheel one at a time. Plasma, as well as SXRD can produce red, blue, and green at the same time. There is no way a plasma can generate the type of RBE that is seen on DLP's. Whatever people claim to see on a plasma cannot be the typical RBE.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck /forum/post/0

I see rainbows on DLP's, and reluctantly returned a very nice Toshiba 1080p DLP after a week of constant irritation. It seemed the longer I watched it the more I noticed rainbows. I went with a Sony A-2000 SXRD instead. Much easier on the eyes, and great overall PQ, BUT some issues with color uniformity and bluish blacks that irritate me a bit. As for true rainbow effect on plasma, that is simply impossible. The reason DLP has rainbows is due to the colors being made from a color wheel one at a time. Plasma, as well as SXRD can produce red, blue, and green at the same time. There is no way a plasma can generate the type of RBE that is seen on DLP's. Whatever people claim to see on a plasma cannot be the typical RBE.

Yes, I know that plasma displays can't have the same kind of color-wheel induced rainbows like DLPs. Assuming you've taken a look at the thread that I linked to you will see that there is some phenomenom that is seen by a bunch of people on plasma displays that is being described as "rainbow-like". I've actually seen it myself and I would describe it as green flashes. Don't shoot the messenger.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Bought a DLP, tried my best to see rainbows, drove me crazy for a bit, don't see them that often anymore. It's like the brain blocks it out and you don't see it - much like being able to concentrate on a conversation in a bar without being distracted by all the noise going on around you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been seeing rainbows on my Samsung HL-S4676S, especially in dark scenes. I've had it less than a week, and I'm trying to decide if I'm going to keep it or return it. I may just keep it for a year and then sell it to my neighbor or something when I can find a suitable replacement.

It seems that each technology has it's tradeoffs.

LCD is often plagued by motion blur/pixelation effects which are most noticeable when watching sports or fast motion. The 120 Hz backlighting is supposed to solve this problem, but at the moment there isn't a 46" LCD w/ 120 Hz backlighting on the market.

Plasma has the potential issue of screen burn in, and apparently the "green flash" that some people see. The new Pioneers are supposed to be a big step forward in plasma technology.

DLP has rainbows. I haven't decided if I can live with them for a while or not. It is distracting in black and white scenes, but otherwise the picture is quite good for the money.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
By early summer Samsung's second year LED DLP sets should be in stores.

2007 Samsung DLP Information From CES!

Some people adapt to rainbows, but others who see them at a rapid rate have a big problem living with them. I wouldn't want to, but I've never seen one.

·
Registered
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 /forum/post/0

Bought a DLP, tried my best to see rainbows, drove me crazy for a bit, don't see them that often anymore. It's like the brain blocks it out and you don't see it - much like being able to concentrate on a conversation in a bar without being distracted by all the noise going on around you.

I've had my TV for a while and watched it a lot. I never once saw a rainbow until a couple nights ago. I noticed them on Final Fantasy Advent Children a little. Then I watched Sin City right after (to look for rainbows) and saw them everywhere. Strangely enough...I could tune it out. I would only notice rainbows when I look for them
I look for them all the time on other movies and TV shows but never see them. I'm just gonna stop looking for them lol. I love my TV and I don't want to let something like that make me regret buying it.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I cannot and don't want to adapt to rainbows on color-wheel DLP. (Excited about LED DLP, fwiw). That said, I've seen rainbows on every color-wheel DLP I've ever auditioned (front or rear).

And I've never seen any such thing, similar or dissimilar, on a plasma.

Anecdote is the singular of data.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
rogo,

What were your impressions of the new LED DLPs at CES? Were you able to detect any rainbows at all?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm past the return period on my mitsu 57731 (bought at compusa) and a few days ago I noticed the rainbows while watching 24. Now I notice them all the time, and I cannot stand it. Any ideas on what I can do? I was thinking about switching to D-ILA, or LCos. I'm not a fan of plasma or LCD. And for what its worth I cant afford a 57" in either lcd or plasma. I can't afford to just go buy another tv, so I'm looking for a solution because I now I have a tv I cant watch. help!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph38_99 /forum/post/0

I'm past the return period on my mitsu 57731 (bought at compusa) and a few days ago I noticed the rainbows while watching 24. Now I notice them all the time, and I cannot stand it. Any ideas on what I can do? I was thinking about switching to D-ILA, or LCos. I'm not a fan of plasma or LCD. And for what its worth I cant afford a 57" in either lcd or plasma. I can't afford to just go buy another tv, so I'm looking for a solution because I now I have a tv I cant watch. help!

The weird thing about RBE is once you start to see it I think you sub-conciously look for it all time and see it even more. That is what happened to me with the Toshiba. I hated returning it too because it had a great overall PQ. But I was literally seeing RBE flashes several times a minute on most programs. According to C-Span the MITS like you have is supposed to bother people with RBE less than any other color wheel DLP, but some people are still seeing them. I don't know what to tell you. Try to not move your eyes around as much, and maybe try watching the set in a brighter room with some lights left on at night.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph38_99 /forum/post/0

Uh-oh, you finally saw the rainbows, huh? D-ILA is JVC's proprietary name for LCoS, just like SXRD is to Sony.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Add me to the RBE list. I have 2 more weeks with this TV and I am thinking to possibly return it. The reason I bought it in the first place was the size, it is a 62" Toshiba with a great 1080P display and I never saw any RBE in the stores at all. Other options were: (Canada)

58" Panny Plasma = 4000 bucks

50" Sharp LCD = 4000 bucks

62" Tosh = 1800 bucks (what I bought)

Considering all TV's seem to have their issues, I chose the bigger screen for less money, a lot less.

Problem is this damn RBE and even some eye fatigue/headache which could be because I need a calibration, I have now turned down the sharpness, brightness etc and the fatigue is much less.

I also see the RBE more when the room is dark in black/white images, maybe once or twice an hour.

I am wondering the exact same thing as the poster, will I be able to live with them....

I don't like the alternative at all, spend double the money for a smaller screen and still have issues albeit different maybe more tolerable ones....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.