AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the novice question. I'm buying a 3 LNB eliptical dish that includes a KVI multiswitch. I know that four separate lines come off the multiswitch. It's my understanding that all multiswitches work this way.

Can I take only one of those lines and plug it into my video distribution system to feed multiple receivers? If not, can you explain why. Is the reciever somehow sending power or signals to the dish? Also, If I can't split the line does this mean I need a 2nd dish to drive more than 4 recievers?

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
19,334 Posts
Jim..

You can't because any one port only carries half of the transponders for one satellite at any given time. Satellites double their available transponders by using polarized transmission. A receiver sends voltage back up the line to tell the LNB which polarization to use. A multswitch sets one LNB to LH and one to RH and then switches each "output" to the proper feed depending on the incoming voltage it senses.

With the 3LNB setup, the plus or HDTV receiver also sends a 22KHz tone back up the line to tell the multswitch which satellite to tune to.

A video distribution amp is designed to carry an analog video signal. That's not at all what the multiswitch spits out, so it's rather incompatible. Your best bet is to buy a bigger multiswitch. One with 8 outputs ought to do you.

If you plan to watch the same channel all over the house, you can take the output of one of the receivers and route that to a signal distribution system. All of the TVs would get whatever the receiver was tuned to, all on channel 3 or 4 (whichever you set).

Clear as mud?

Doc

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,269 Posts
Something you can do is take 2 outputs from the integrated multiswitch and send them to a 2x8 multiswitch (or 3x8 or 5x8, etc.). This will allow you to use the remaining 2 outputs from the integrated multiswitch for HD receivers or for receivers where you want the NASA channel, Para Todos, etc. and will also give you 8 other outputs from the 2nd multiswitch to drive the other receivers in your house (the 8 outputs will be limited to only the content from the 101 satellite). This is what I'm doing until I get the time to remove the integrated multiswitch from my dish so I can fully utiliize my Spaun 5802.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your explaination. It helps a lot. I'll have to look into other multiswitch options I guess.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Jim: Go to the Channel Master website and download the 10th Edition of their "Satellite Distribution Accessories With Applications" catalog. You can feed as many DSS receivers if you want. If you have questions, they will answer them. You won't believe the good stuff they offer. www.channelmaster.com

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, do I need a 22khz switch for a 3 LNB setup? From my understanding two LNBs are combined to look like one and the third picks up the last satellite. Right? So I'd need a 22khz switch to switch from the two satellite feed to the one satellite feed. Do I have this right? Thanks for all your help. I'm getting up to speed quickly.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Jim: I cannot find the correspondence I had with Channel Master. I think it was in March of 2001, and, as I recall, it involved CM's Model 6904 Mutiswitch. From memory, to feed 8 receivers it was necessary to connect each of the 4 outputs from the dish to a separate two way switch (4 in all). One of the outputs from each of the four two way switchs would then go to a Model 6904 swith (there would be two 6904's) to give you 8 outputs.

As for the 3 LNB setup, I would present your question to Channel Master to see what they suggest. My off the cuff guess is it won't work as you cannot have two 2 way switches in series. I tried this with my Dish Network setup which utilizes 3 LNB's on two separate dishes to receive 3 satellites. I could only receive any two of them at a time, but when I inserted a second 2 way switch I could only receive one signal, that being the signal from the LNB that was "split" but once.

Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikey mo
Jim: I cannot find the correspondence I had with Channel Master. I think it was in March of 2001, and, as I recall, it involved CM's Model 6904 Mutiswitch. From memory, to feed 8 receivers it was necessary to connect each of the 4 outputs from the dish to a separate two way switch (4 in all). One of the outputs from each of the four two way switchs would then go to a Model 6904 swith (there would be two 6904's) to give you 8 outputs.

As for the 3 LNB setup, I would present your question to Channel Master to see what they suggest. My off the cuff guess is it won't work as you cannot have two 2 way switches in series. I tried this with my Dish Network setup which utilizes 3 LNB's on two separate dishes to receive 3 satellites. I could only receive any two of them at a time, but when I inserted a second 2 way switch I could only receive one signal, that being the signal from the LNB that was "split" but once.

Let us know how you make out.
You dont need any two way switches. Rather, you use plain basic satellie splitters like you find a RatShack. So you take the the outputs from each of your LNBs, split them into two feeds with the RatShack splitters and feed the appropriate feeds to the cooresponding connections on each multiswitch. The RatShack sattelite splitters have built in steering diodes so the multiswitches wont short each other out and likewise also so the splitters will pass DC.

Otherwise you can do an online search for the brand "Trunkline". They make 8 port multiswitchs that are reasonably priced. That's what we did at our house. I suppose if I ever had some reason to expand to 12 feeds I couild add the splitters to the system in addition and thereby use both multiswitches. Dont laugh: my cousin has a Micro$oft Ultimate TV in his bedomm and we've also got an Ultimate TV unit in the living room. These things have picture in picture and can record one sattelie program while watching another. They also require 2 coax feeds from each sattelite in order to be able to independtly tune the two built in tuners. So thats enough feeds between them to use up all 4 ports on one of the switches.

Now add regular recievers in three other bedrooms, and it starts to fill up another switch pretty fast. Maybe someday I'll move the multiswithes into the attic - then there will only be 4 wires from the dish up on the roof going into the house - and I can then split off accordingly where things wont be so visible ... and so on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.