AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the Panasonic TCP50ST60 and was wondering about screen break in. I understand people use a burn in disc and run it continuously to get that first 100-200 hours of break in. Couldn't one just use the screen wipe feature of the tv and run it all day?

·
Registered
20,754 Posts
The slides are different cord on purpose. They allow the 3 colors of the pixel structure to age evenly. That said you don't "need" to run the slides. Watch variable content for the 1st few hours without having any static images on the screen for extended periods of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,754 Posts
I shod add the slides are usually used by those prepping for professional calibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
The screen wipe in my opinion, is somewhat harsh. Kinda like buying a new car and driving it 100 mph for any length of time.

The slides are less harsh, but not really necessary, unless you are trying to speed up the pixel stabilization process, or if you are planning on utilizing someone else's settings, like D-Nices, and want to age the panel as they did prior to calibration, to try and get results as close as he achieved during calibration.

But there is always panel variations, so it will never be as accurate as a professional calibration, and in some circumstances, could result in worse results than the default cinema or movie modes.

You can also stabilize your phosphors by just watching tv. Just take care to take out of vivid/dynamic mode, and turn down contrast a bit, while trying to avoid black bars, heavy logos or static images for extended periods during the first few hundred hours.

It is not necessary to use slides if you are getting a professional calibration, unless as I stated, you are trying to speed up the aging process. A professional calibrator will take readings of your displays current state, and calibrate from there.

Most importantly, enjoy your display.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts