AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running an Onkyo 818, and have tried , very unsuccessfully, to power a dual opposed, sealed sonosub using 2 Stereo Integrity 18, dual 4 ohm voice coil drivers, with 2 different brand new Behringer 3000 DSP amps. I'm getting very, very low output, and suspect it may be an issue with the Onkyo not putting out a strong enough signal.

Joseph

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Onkyo's will put out several volts more than enough for any pro amp I've come across. If you are getting low output out of your amp you have it set up incorrectly.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
No problem with my Onkyo with Crown XLS1500 amps....and my Onkyo HTRC370 has same output rated spec in the manual as the 818....rated 200mV/470 ohm with max of 4.6 V. How did you wire your subs? I just picked up a pair of SI 18D2s myself for marty sub builds....

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wired out from my 818 sub out, using the same RCA wire as to my existing HSU vtf 3 mk 3, adding a 1/4" TRS converter plug, into input A... set the brand new Behringer to 'bridged' mode, output via speakon, wired with pos to 1+, neg to 2+, directly into a dual driver sonosub, making sure the 'positive' wire went into the pos connection on one coil of the first driver, another wire from the - of that coil to the + of the other coil, and the negative of that coil back into the (neg) wire that came into the sono... I ran a jumper from the first wire (into the positive coil of the first driver) to the positive input of the other driver's first coil, another wire from that coil's negative around to the other coil's (of the second driver) positive, and a jumper from that coil's negative back to where the first driver's negative (on the second coil) went back out on the original wire that came in. I matched it to the diagram I found on Crutchfield's site for utilizing two subs, both having dual 4 ohm coils, wiring each driver's coils in series, and then both drivers in parallel, to present a 4 ohm final load to one channel of the amp. The Sonotube itself had one positive and one negative wire already (very firmly) attached coming out, and I wired those into the 1+ and 2+ of a 4 pole Speakon ( positive and negative, respectively), which I plugged directly into the 'Output A' of my Behringer 3000 Dsp. The only setting I changed, out of the box on the berry, is to set it to 'bridged'.

sorry for the huge paragraph.

Joseph

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c  /t/1525117/can-onkyos-run-pro-amps-without-voltage-step-up/0_100#post_24550173

I would double check wiring. I have run a single si 18 and the nu1000dsp bridged, and there was good output. I had the wiring for bridged messed up at first and had very low output.

double check the wiring where? first i triple checked the drivers before I closed up the sub... I didn't want to do that again.. crappy screws the first time...

I did the same thing with 2 different, brand new Inuke 3000 dsp's... I've replaced the Speakon with another... The only way I've heard anything is by turning off my other sub, and turning off my satellite speakers (all of them), by turning off the amp they're connected to... then turning the sub trims in my AVR up to +12, and turning the Master Volume up to 0... this amp was the only one receiving a signal at this point, and it was very low... I connected it to my computer, and did show a very small input signal, and a slightly larger output signal.

It was still very quiet.

I then made another Speakon cable (also bridged) , and broke out another (my 3rd) brand new SI 18 d4, and wired it , again in series, but alone, so it was showing 8 ohms... and hooked it up....same result... very low sound unless I turned everything else off and that channel to max....so...

I went back to the original sonosub, broke open the Speakon, and removed the wire to the 2+, and placed it into the1- hole... tightened it down, and set the Berry to 'stereo', and hooked it up to channel A output.... same result... tried it again on channel B, and nothing at all (so it was definitely on the 1+ and 1-...) but only heard anything by turning the other speakers off, and the other sub off (still connected to the other sub out) and turning the Master volume up. This time I had the software open, and saw my first output blip at -22 on the MV. By the time I got to 0, I had 2 bars lighting up on the input, and 3 on the output.

At no time did I ever have a light on the front of the Behringer amp.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I found this. (random post from another forum)

http://www.avforums.com/threads/anyone-feeding-an-onkyo-818-to-an-ep2500.1789602/

The first response is someone using an almost identical setup, minus the subs, so the Onkyo should definitely have enough voltage output.

I know for a fact that when i was first trying to get the 3000dsp to work (Pioneer vsx-1018), it pretty much needed subwoofer trim to be at +9 or +12 to get the signal lights on the amp to ping. This required me to add EQ setting for the entire receiver that permanently had the trim raised.

Since you tried that already, I'm not sure what else is missing, but...

What I would do is make a speakon cable where one end is a bridged (or stereo) speakon, and hook it directly to the amp.

Leave the other end as bare red and black wire, and just wire it directly to the voice coils of one of your extra drivers.

This at least rules everything out except for the RCA > TRS connector. I use RCA > XLR for all my pro amps, but if you are getting ANYTHING out of your subs, then the signal cable should OK.

Don't lose faith, you will figure it out, and just remember, all the blissful bass you want will be waiting for you when you do.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude  /t/1525117/can-onkyos-run-pro-amps-without-voltage-step-up#post_24550080

I'm running an Onkyo 818, and have tried , very unsuccessfully, to power a dual opposed, sealed sonosub using 2 Stereo Integrity 18, dual 4 ohm voice coil drivers, with 2 different brand new Behringer 3000 DSP amps. I'm getting very, very low output, and suspect it may be an issue with the Onkyo not putting out a strong enough signal.

Joseph

Your avr can output enough pre out voltage to push iNuke to its optimum performance. No need of signal booster like Art CleanBox Pro. Read on gain matching CE equipment with pro amp. Onkyos put out pretty hot pre out signal IF you properly gain match them,

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
That's really odd OP. Not sure what to tell you.

This works perfectly for me. I have my gain knobs turned all the way up, Crown XLS1500 and two polk monitor 70s and it works great. Very happy. I'm getting an inuke NU4-6000 next.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had the same issue last week, but with an Onkyo 609. I ended up getting an Art Cleanbox Pro and it immediately improved the output. From what I had read I shouldn't have needed it, but I won't argue with results.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
OP--since you say the only thing you did to the inuke was set the amp to bridged mode, gotta ask what did you did otherwise in setting up the amp, particularly with the gain? Did you go through the manual/settings completely? What do the input meters show? Are they affected by the use of the gain control? (sec 3.3.1 of the manual)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
picked up an RCA to XLR adapter today, and it did the trick.
now it's time to read up on gain matching CE equipment with pro amps. Thanks to all who helped.

Joseph

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude  /t/1525117/can-onkyos-run-pro-amps-without-voltage-step-up/0_100#post_24552246

picked up an RCA to XLR adapter today, and it did the trick.
now it's time to read up on gain matching CE equipment with pro amps. Thanks to all who helped.

Joseph

No way! I was going to suggest this right after your first post, but kept my mouth shut! Sorry for not jumping in earlier! I'm glad you got it figured out.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador  /t/1525117/can-onkyos-run-pro-amps-without-voltage-step-up/0_100#post_24552296

Wonder why the TRS plug didn't work... There shouldn't be a difference right?
The guy at the local electronics store even said it shouldn't make a difference... so glad I tried it anyway. now to get the other 'tube finished...

Thanks again, everyone!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I think the answer lies with what type of TRS adapter you were using and how it was configured internally. The Behringer can accept either unbalanced 1/4" TS inputs or balanced 1/4" TRS inputs. I suspect that if you were using rca to TRS, the amp was expecting to see half of the signal on the ring portion of the connector, which would be responsible for half of the peak to peak voltage. If it was not present (which is wouldn't be coming from unbalanced RCA), the amp was being "short changed" of half of the input voltage. (Unlike what is labeled in the picture, I would call the three lines "+", "-" and ground.)

Lots of combination input jacks used in electronics these days have integrated switches in them, such as when you plug a headphone cable into your smart phone or when you plug in the room mic into a receiver that uses Audyssey or the like for room correction. When something is plugged in, it switches modes. I imagine that if you were to wire your own cable with an RCA on one end and a TS on the other, there wouldn't have been a problem.

All speculation at this point. I'm just glad you got it resolved!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts