AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am in a bit of a bind with my first venture into more than 2 channel sound. I am currently receiving a HT receiver for Christmas, but right now I only have the budget for either a center or a sub, but not both.

Being new to HT I don't really have a handle on what would be a bigger sacrifice if that's indeed possible to determine.

I'll be using it for Movies and t.v. only, no music.

If it helps knowing this, my front soundstage consists of JS Audio, aka custom, 3 ways using Audax drivers with the woofer being a 10" driver.

So that being said, I could use some pointers on whether I'm better off starting with 4.1 or 5.0. Should I skip on the center and lets the fronts mimic it, or should I skip the sub and let the mains handle bass? Thanks in advance for any and all input. :)

·
Registered
30,209 Posts
Meso,
Quote:
...my front soundstage consists of JS Audio, aka custom, 3 ways using Audax drivers with the woofer being a 10" driver.
A couple of quick questions:

Can you get a centre speaker that will be a reasonably good sonic match for your front two speakers?

Are you currently satisfied with the amount and quality of bass you are getting?

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi sdurani thanks for responding

"Can you get a centre speaker that will be a reasonably good sonic match for your front two speakers? "

Yes the same business is still around, I'm going there tomorrow to listen to a potential center. They still use some Audax drivers in their speakers, although they are newer models and not the same exact ones I have in my older speakers. I do think that they will be probably be the closest sonic match I can get barring building my own which I wouldn't do.

"Are you currently satisfied with the amount and quality of bass you are getting? "

Well the quality of the bass seems adequate, but of course money willing I would be buying a sub. The thing is, once you hear a decent sub its hard to look at what you currently own as having enough low end punch. ;)

I could certainly live with them for bass, but like I said I'm just ignorant as to whether a 4.1 or 5.0 setup is "easier to live with".

·
Registered
30,209 Posts
Hi Meso,

Based on your comments, I'd suggest getting the centre speaker instead of the sub. You'll eventually get both, but in the mean time I think the centre speaker will be more useful because it will make a dramatic impact on your front soundstage; especially since you'll be using this system for movies and TV only. While I do think a sub will make an impact on your system, I just don't think it will be as dramatic as the centre speaker; especially considering you already have those 10 inch woofers.

That's my two cents. BTW, are you going to be using any surround speakers?

Good Luck,

Sanjay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, that's kinda what I'm thinking as well.

Regarding surrounds, its pair of Yamaha bookshelfs. They are low budget, but should be fine for now. Unfortunately my apartment doesn't lend itself to a easy solution for placement of the rears. I'll probably take some pictures of my apartment and upload them and hopefully some of the people here can give me some ideas for placement.

Anyway thanks again.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.