AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 83 player have the hardware inside to do net-streaming? It would be a cool thing, but not a deal breaker by any means.

Jason?

·
Registered
22,518 Posts
I disagree completely on the coolness factor. Nothing but low-quality video and even lower quality audio. Interest here is less than zero.

I also don't believe that streaming has any future unless or until our internet architecture is totally re-designed and true broadband is available at reasonable cost without download caps or restrictions.

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
But OPPO needs to be feature compatible. Everyone loves playing the "check mark" game, and if OPPO is missing a check mark, it automatically starts losing its value.

I personally would prefer getting user created media support up and running properly. We finally have MKV with h.264 working, but the subtitles are horrible and Vorbis is still missing.

If OPPO can get FLAC, APE, or other audio support, they will be golden.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
What I'd like to see is a "smart" network firmware update so the end-user can simply select that option in the OSD and when an update is found, not have to wonder is this one I have already installed. The machine should know.

Even better would be a prompt on the OSD indicating that "A firmware update is available. Do you want to install it now?"

That would eliminate a lot of customer service inquiries to OPPO and ensure that the machines already installed with end-users get the benefit of future firmware.

Dana

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I will agree with rdgrimes our broadband needs a major overhaul for

streaming to be effective means of entertainment at the same time it

will have to be affordable for the masses to embrace it.

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,242 Posts
I have used Netflix from my Tivo for some Amime and the occasional movie so it has some use.

I also feel that the checkmark is important for a top of the line product, but I would NOT delay the release for it. Put it in later if you can.

- Rich

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/15576807

I disagree completely on the coolness factor. Nothing but low-quality video and even lower quality audio. Interest here is less than zero.

I also don't believe that streaming has any future unless or until our internet architecture is totally re-designed and true broadband is available at reasonable cost without download caps or restrictions.

Just because you wouldnt use it doesnt mean its not a useful feature. Did you go to CES this year? Every manufacturer has a protoype player with net-streaming. Whether we like it or not, its the future (at least as a me-too feature).

I use youtube on my apple tv all the time as a good laugh. Of course the PQ and AQ are terrible. But its another option for enterainment. If oppo can add it to this player, then great. If it lacks some hardware to do it, then so be it another model will have to add this feature.

·
Registered
22,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Spackman /forum/post/15579203

Just because you wouldnt use it doesnt mean its not a useful feature. Did you go to CES this year? Every manufacturer has a protoype player with net-streaming.

Every manufacturer has DVD and BD players that I also would not buy. Point being just that Oppo's customers may not represent the masses who don't care about PQ and AQ. As a "universal player", it's true that streaming might be a good feature to add to the list. But I don't believe that it would represent a selling point for the majority of Oppo's customers.

The REAL reason for the proliferation of streaming players is money, not demand. They are trying to create the demand by making the players available, and money is changing hands between the service providers and the player makers. This is not a bad thing, but I have yet to see any credible evidence that streaming movies are being embraced by BD or even DVD consumers. Let's not even go into the DRM-infested nature of the streams themselves and the requirements for proprietary hardware and software.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
More important than anything along these lines IMO is the ability to stream files from our PC to the 83 over ethernet. Including the file types mentioned by Neuro. USB key is just not gonna cut it. It takes too long to copy files to my 16gb Corsair even over USB 2.0. Ability to stream Internet radio stations would be a HUGE bonus.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by facesnorth /forum/post/15583369

More important than anything along these lines IMO is the ability to stream files from our PC to the 83 over ethernet. Including the file types mentioned by Neuro. USB key is just not gonna cut it. It takes too long to copy files to my 16gb Corsair even over USB 2.0. Ability to stream Internet radio stations would be a HUGE bonus.

That's a interesting thought....stream internet radio station content. Not sure if anyone has thought of that for a Blu-Ray player. I use iTunes with Airtunes via the Apple Airport Express built in 16bit DAC -> TOS output to my Denon AVR which sounds great, but using a BDP-83 might be far superior. Don't think it is doable, but hell of a thought.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Seems to me like when they do add the capability, that it was just the foresight on the part of the team to include it. It doesn't seem to me like it's too far beyond streaming plain files off the PC. For example on the 905 receiver, it can stream off the PC and play internet radio stations. You just program the http address into the 905. It doesn't seem like there's all that much too it. I won't have the 905 forever and I was thinking I'd need a squeezebox to take over those duties. If the 83 could keep me (and others) from having to buy a sqeezebox, then really that makes up a LOT for having to keep the 983 (or whatever) around for region free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts