AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hughes htl-hd and old showstopper hs2000. Can the ota dig channels be recorded (schedualed) on replay. They are listed on the receiver as 'x.1'. In antanneweb it lists whole nu channels like 53 and than the translation to like 4.1 Since channel 53 comes up no signal or unavailable, I'm supposing its only at the 4.1 and directv guide cant see it.

Anyway to do this? To just real time record it , I can start in a normal channel and than while record is on change the receiver to the 'x.1' channel.

Also, if I go Tivo hd than I lose the guide without paying, right.

thanks,

Jack

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
It's been described about 100 times search and you'll find the answer.

I can say it can be done, it's just a pain to do because you have to set up the hdtv reciever by hand. =(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what would i search for? I'm coming up with nothing with 'ota record', timeshift record, hd ota record, ota hd and replay,

thanks,

Jack

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
subchannel would be good, that's the .1 part of a channel. HDTV is another good one. HD is too short and stands for HardDisk.

Everyone will tell you you'll need to configure your reciever to output s-video if it doesn't do concurrent HDTV and downsampled s-video. After that the tuning can't be done with the replay driving the box (unless you got a samsung 151 (I think that's the model)).

It's a pain in the ass, but it can be done. I do it all the time for 24 and other shows like that. I can't really say it's worth it, but I do it still.

And the search here sucks, keep the searches to one word, that will increase your hit rate. And only use two words if you have two good words, it's an AND search and you'll be losing a lot of potential hits if you add too many AND conditions into your query.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Or just tell 'em how to do it...

Set up a timer on the Hughes.

Set up a manual record on the Replay. When you get to the "tuning" setup screen, press the "info" button. Set what line the hughes is connected to the Replay and set the channel tuning to "none".

Was that so hard to explain?

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Nope, except for the fact that I don't own a hughes reciever so that's news to me. =)

I know it's all been explained before so why not let him hear from others who've done it?

Give a man a fish he eats today, teach a man to fish he can teach others and head to the bar for a beer while others fish for him.

·
Registered
167 Posts
We were all newbies once and need to have some clack shared. Heck, I still have a hard time searching for things and I've been lurking around here at least 500 hours. Somme people type" HTL HD", some do "HTL-HD", I've even seen "Hughes HD HTL". Yikes! Maybe we should standardize our jargon to a simple 5 page listing so we can find things. Ha!

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
My recording of the superbowl was great!

I even got the shot of the Justin-Janet thingy...

The quality isn't as good as HD, but it's still better than std-tv.

Teh search here does suck, once you learn the tricks it works, but the 3 letter and different naming does make it very difficult, I agree.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveWinNJ
If you don't know the answer...why bother posting?
Because I do know an answer, and just because it's not the "optimal" way doesn't mean it won't work. They are all hacks, just a matter of preference.

If you do the search you can see all the OTHER ways folks have done the same thing. Better than asking for everyone to re-explain what they did and why.

It's really a question of how lazy you are. I'm willing to bet I'm lazier than you.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
Because I do know an answer, and just because it's not the "optimal" way doesn't mean it won't work. They are all hacks, just a matter of preference.

If you do the search you can see all the OTHER ways folks have done the same thing. Better than asking for everyone to re-explain what they did and why.

It's really a question of how lazy you are. I'm willing to bet I'm lazier than you.
I hear ya Jeff. I didn't realize there were various methods for accomplishing this. I apologize for being snotty to you .;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.