AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sure wish it had a fourth HDMI in. :sad2:

I need to hook up two PCs, a PS3, and a the cable box. I have three HDMI ins, and two component ins at my disposal. I'm thinking I'll reserve HDMIs for the PCs and the PS3, and then I'll use component cables to hook up the cable box... Since most HDTV is broadcast in 720p, even if that's the max resolution I can use with this interface, it won't be too bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Thats what I would do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/18183347


Yeah, almost all cable channels are 1080i, and the S1 (along with every other HDTV ever made) will accept 1080i over component.

Good deal.

I was worried because I remember reading something (maybe a post on here) which stated that the TV was limited to 720p over component.

Thanks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomash /forum/post/18183479


Good deal.

I was worried because I remember reading something (maybe a post on here) which stated that the TV was limited to 720p over component.

Someone did state that here recently but they were corrected immediately.


To answer your question: "Can Panasonic P50S14 do (accept) 1080p over component cables?" the answer is No.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/18183532


Someone did state that here recently but they were corrected immediately.


To answer your question: "Can Panasonic P50S14 do (accept) 1080p over component cables?" the answer is No.

...and the only time 1080p via component is useful is for an older, non-HDMI Xbox 360.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/18183702


...and the only time 1080p via component is useful is for an older, non-HDMI Xbox 360.

Not even then really. I dont believe there are any xbox 360 games that are native 1080p, most are 1280x720. Either your set is scaling your games up to 1080p, or the console is. IMO, HDMI was completely unecessary on the 360 and implemented only to compete with ps3, as your average Joe doesnt understand the concept of scaling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadmaker /forum/post/18184802


Not even then really. I dont believe there are any xbox 360 games that are native 1080p, most are 1280x720. Either your set is scaling your games up to 1080p, or the console is. IMO, HDMI was completely unecessary on the 360 and implemented only to compete with ps3, as your average Joe doesnt understand the concept of scaling.

True, but the Xbox nearly always does a much better job of scaling the output than the TV does. Most TV's (including the S1) don't allow you to turn off overscan on a 720p signal, so by having the Xbox output 1080p you are getting more of the image.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,507 Posts
To answer the OP's question: no. I own a 50S14 and it does not support 1080p over component. It runs at 1080i just fine. You may be able to find the full manual over the internet and in it they state what is accepted and over what type of connection. If not, PM me as I have it on my computer.


On a somewhat related note, it will also not accept a 1920x1080 signal over the VGA port. I believe the VGA port is maxed out at 1366x768.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad /forum/post/18184884


To answer the OP's question: no. I own a 50S14 and it does not support 1080p over component. It runs at 1080i just fine. You may be able to find the full manual over the internet and in it they state what is accepted and over what type of connection. If not, PM me as I have it on my computer.


On a somewhat related note, it will also not accept a 1920x1080 signal over the VGA port. I believe the VGA port is maxed out at 1366x768.

Thanks, 1080i for HDTV signal will be sufficient then.

And I'll have both PCs hooked up via HDMI, so resolution won't be a problem.

Here's the connections diagram I worked out yesterday.

Yes, I know I need a receiver, but I don't have one right now, so I have to make do with what I've got.

 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top