AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there use their Panasonic ReplyTV remote to control X-10 devices? I have an X-10 remote to control two lights and a fan and would like to consolidate to just the Replay remote if possible.

Thx

SF

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
X-10 works on RF signals while your Replay works on IR signals. The two are incompatible with each other.

If you really want to get down to one remote, you could by an X-10 IR Remote that will accept commands from the Replay remote to control your X-10 equipment. However, you'll still need to get the IR codes into your Replay remote, which I don't think is possible since the Replay remote is not a learning remote, AFAIK.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Howdy all. I have two replays and X10 lights. I am controlling all of them from the Radio Shack 15-1994 - it issues IR for X10. There is some fantastic stuff available in the jp1 group on yahoo courtesy of some very smart people. There is software to teach remotes new protocols and devices. SO for example, I used the ir.exe program from the jp1 group to upload the codes to the RS remote so it can control replaytvs.

Then I bought am IR543 box from x10.com (cheaper at worthdist.com) that is plugged into an outlet - it accepts IR X10 signals and then sends them over the wiring just like the RF receiver does for X10.

Seems the Replay cannot handle the X10 protocol - check out http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=36783. Someone may have figured it out in Jp1 but in general going to the RS remote would be easier.

The 15-1994 is no longer available - it has been replaced by the 2104 - check out http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/index.shtml

for all the info you will need from Rob.

SO I have 1 button macros that turn out the lights, turn on the tv, set it to the right inout, turn on the replay, bring up the guide, etc.

truly wicked stuff -

·
Registered
188 Posts
Howdy all. I have two replays and X10 lights. I am controlling all of them from the Radio Shack 15-1994 - it issues IR for X10. There is some fantastic stuff available in the jp1 group on yahoo courtesy of some very smart people. There is software to teach remotes new protocols and devices. SO for example, I used the ir.exe program from the jp1 group to upload the codes to the RS remote so it can control replaytvs.

Then I bought am IR543 box from x10.com (cheaper at worthdist.com) that is plugged into an outlet - it accepts IR X10 signals and then sends them over the wiring just like the RF receiver does for X10.

Seems the Replay cannot handle the X10 protocol - check out http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=36783. Someone may have figured it out in Jp1 but in general going to the RS remote would be easier.

The 15-1994 is no longer available - it has been replaced by the 2104 - check out http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/index.shtml

for all the info you will need from Rob.

SO I have 1 button macros that turn out the lights, turn on the tv, set it to the right inout, turn on the replay, bring up the guide, etc.

truly wicked stuff -

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I hadn't noticed that other thread until now. I can't hink of any reason why you can't load the X10 protocol into the Replay remote, so I'll have to check it out. Maybe it's the code in my spreadsheet that's in error.

I'll do some testing and report back....

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yes, Rob it would be nice if you could investigate that , i tried to load an X10 (IR543) protocol in to replay remote, but it didn't work. All the other protocols like Bose, Apex worked fine, so it is not the problem with my remote or JP1.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
There is a bug in the protocol code in the spreadsheet, thanks for bringing this to my attention. Here is the correct version for you.

Upgrade protocol 0 = 00 3F (S3C8)

38 87 01 8B 11 05 05 04 07 B9 07 A5 02 3C 0D 21

00 00 17 2B 07 A5 E4 03 05 E4 03 06 60 06 CF 10

06 CF 10 03 E4 00 04 F0 04 20 10 F6 01 33 E6 29

05 E6 10 03 E6 01 02 20 12 20 13 F6 01 36 1C 1E

8D 01 39

End

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm assuming that the "Upgrade protocol" info is for JP1 and nothing I can use for adding X-10 to my Replay remote?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Just checked hifi-remote page Rob has $5 kits avaialble to make your own JP1 cable, the main problem befor ewas to make this 6 pin connector, now that's solved. With 1$ shipping, I don't know how he does this, all the parts in the kit would cost more than he asks for it.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Another way to go about this is to hook up an IRman to your computer. It hangs off a serial port and takes IR commands from a wide variety of remotes. You can then have the computer do the X10 stuff. The little beasty is ony $35 and is quite useful for lots of stuff. I use one to control my MP3 player(Linux box with 80+ ripped CD's). I use the VCR button on my ReplayTV remote as the MP3 remote control. Rather easy to setup, especially for Linux, xmms has an input module specifically for the IRman. You can also set up the IRman on a linux box to issue shell commands, including X10 ...

See:

http://www.evation.com/irman/

If you added a RedRat2 to the computer then you could turn it into a universal IR translator... i.e. any remote could control your ReplayTV, even if it can't send the actual ReplayTV IR commands. Hmm, anyone got a TiVo remote they are not using :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Rob, I tested the new spreadsheet you've uploaded and it worked just fine, now we can answer - replayTV remote can and does control X10 devices through IR543 controller. I used the advanced codes from Home automation section on your hifi-remote page .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.