AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, is there any possibility of a tweeter burning out because of the reproduction of an audio recorded in flac or mp3 that is said to be "of dubious quality"?
As far as I know, this claim does not succeed. The maximum that can occur is that the component does not render its full potential of sound quality.
As I consider myself almost lay on the subject, I resort to friends here.
------------

·
Registered
149 Posts
Guys, is there any possibility of a tweeter burning out because of the reproduction of an audio recorded in flac or mp3 that is said to be "of dubious quality"?
As far as I know, this claim does not succeed. The maximum that can occur is that the component does not render its full potential of sound quality.
As I consider myself almost lay on the subject, I resort to friends here.
------------
Audio with poor quality would have less dynamics, less details and will have some compression too, just to name a few..

It would be OK as long as there is no clipping in the digital signal.

If there are any clippings in the digital signal that would be as bad as your amp clipping - lower clipping frequencies would produce a burst of higher order odd harmonics. That would be bad for the tweeter and would overload it if the system is played close to the speakers max level.

Digital clipping is dangerous to the tweeters every time when there are (3) or more consecutive samplings with clipping (0dB FS). That's when the generated higher order odd harmonics start getting into the low-passed audio band (22kHz and below).

When playing files "of dubious quality" it would be wise to keep the level at -10dB or lower relative to the speakers max ratings for the above mentioned reasons.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts