AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of Replay units:

1) Which was sold with lifetime service, but has never been used.

2) Which was sold without service and has never been used.

Can someone tell me, briefly, what the deal is now for these units:

A) Would the lifetime unit activate properly and work at this point?

B) Can a unit without service be activated/used? For free? Or do you still have to pay?

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hook both of them up and let them do two net connects each.

They will both be permanently activated at that point.

The monthly unit will be permanently activated now, but it's possible that could change so after it gets it's data hit now I'd disconnect it.

I disconnected my monthly units. I am using the lifetime units. I don't want to pay monthly, I assume you don't either.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo55 /forum/post/20902402

Hook both of them up and let them do two net connects each.

They will both be permanently activated at that point.

The monthly unit will be permanently activated now, but it's possible that could change so after it gets it's data hit now I'd disconnect it.

I disconnected my monthly units. I am using the lifetime units. I don't want to pay monthly, I assume you don't either.

Thanks for the reply.

So, for the monthly unit, do you mean I can't safely download program data more than once? Is this something that MIGHT happen in the future, or something that WILL happen in a few days if I keep connecting?

I was thinking of giving the "monthly" unit to my parents, who won't be willing to play games. If I could tell them that they could use it until/unless DNNA changes what they're doing, that would be OK. But if it IS going to get changed nearly/basically immediately, then I won't bother...

Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwadGuy /forum/post/20902422

Thanks for the reply.

So, for the monthly unit, do you mean I can't safely download program data more than once? Is this something that MIGHT happen in the future, or something that WILL happen in a few days if I keep connecting?

I was thinking of giving the "monthly" unit to my parents, who won't be willing to play games. If I could tell them that they could use it until/unless DNNA changes what they're doing, that would be OK. But if it IS going to get changed nearly/basically immediately, then I won't bother...

Thanks.

They can certainly use it now. However, in the future it may be put on a subscription only basis through DNNA. If you are OK with that let them use it. This could happen in 2 days or 8 months. Your guess is as good as mine.

You can run that unit on a WIRNs server forever, if you like.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwadGuy
Thanks for the reply.

Your unit needs to connect twice in order to have all its features activated. From a "Factory Reset" state, it will set up nor populate the "Zones" data until the second connection.

Quote:

Thanks.
It will work and download data until such time that DNNA decides to charge for it. At that point, you can use WiRNS to keep it updated and use it going forward.

It is works for you, I suggest you give your parents the LT unit, and you make use of the *monthly* unit until such time you'll need to pay DNNA to get guide data, or set up your own server to keep it running.

Cheers!

-Doug

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa
Your unit needs to connect twice in order to have all its features activated. From a "Factory Reset" state, it will set up nor populate the "Zones" data until the second connection.

It will work and download data until such time that DNNA decides to charge for it. At that point, you can use WiRNS to keep it updated and use it going forward.

It is works for you, I suggest you give your parents the LT unit, and you make use of the *monthly* unit until such time you'll need to pay DNNA to get guide data, or set up your own server to keep it running.

Cheers!

-Doug
Thanks for all the help and information...I will decide which unit to give to my parents, but it's nice to know that even the monthly unit is, at present time, "free". A gift is a gift, I guess, no matter for how long :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.