AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the progressive scan sources I see seem to be using component video as their prefered configuration. My XGA DLP doesnt have component in, will SVHS do the job almost as well?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
No your SVHS will not do it at all. You may be able to use a cable adapter to convert component video to VGA in on your projector. If you indicate your projector name and model number you may get help specific to your setup.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dakyman
All the progressive scan sources I see seem to be using component video as their prefered configuration. My XGA DLP doesnt have component in, will SVHS do the job almost as well?
dakman,

An S-video signal has only 2 signals - luminance [Y] and chroma [C] [ i.e. color ]. The color signal has the RGB

[red, green, blue] information multiplexed in 1 signal.

Therefore, an S-video cable has 3 conductors - one for Y, one for C, and a common.

When you have progressive signals - you have either 3 or 5 signals. VGA [computer] is RGB - separate red green, blue

signals [ with horizontal and vertical sync multiplexed ], or "component" YPrPb [ Y, Pr=R-Y, Pb=B-Y ], or you may also

see RGBHV [ red, green, blue, horizontal sync, vertical sync].

So there are too many signals in a progressive format to use with the limited number of conductors in S-video cable.

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, thats cleared it up.

So really the best thing I could do is convert component to RGBHV and send it to the projector.

To answer the earlier question, the projector is a Davis DLX10 1100 ANSI LUMEN DLP.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jinhopark
Does SVHS mean S-Video or Super VHS???
The cable was developed specifically for S-VHS. There were no other sources at the time capable of taking advantage of the separate color and luminance signal (no satellite or DVD and LD has a composite signal). So the name of the cable is S-Video for the S-VHS VCR.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.