AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So I went through the process of trying to get my blu-rays to play in DTS HD master Audio (As they all say they are capable of on the back of the package and in the BR Menus.

1.) I set General audio output in the PS4 menus to Output as PCM.

2.) Inserted Blu-Ray disc and then went to internal PS4 audio output settings and set to bitstream(direct) as stated in many forums about this

3.) Verified the audio output of the blu-ray was set to DTS HD Master Audio

And my receiver still shows Dolby Digital on the front of it.

This I believe truly shows that the PCM approach is not giving the DTS HD Master Audio that everyone says it is, it appears to only be capable of the older Dolby Digital format.

There obviously is a problem with the PS4 not being able to do Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio which is truly sad as these audio formats have been out for many years.

Another fail on Sony's part.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sorry you are having so many issues trying to get this to work but you shouldn't blame Sony.

Have you double checked your receiver settings or tried another HDMI cable/receiver input?

My PS4 works perfectly fine with my Yamaha RX-A3020. I have my main audio output under settings is set to LPCM and audio settings for movies set to Bitstream (Direct) . Shows PCM during games and True HD/DTS-HD MSTR for movies.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1516710/can-ps4-output-in-dolby-true-hd-or-dts-master-audio#post_24334102

So I went through the process of trying to get my blu-rays to play in DTS HD master Audio (As they all say they are capable of on the back of the package and in the BR Menus.

1.) I set General audio output in the PS4 menus to Output as PCM.

2.) Inserted Blu-Ray disc and then went to internal PS4 audio output settings and set to bitstream(direct) as stated in many forums about this

3.) Verified the audio output of the blu-ray was set to DTS HD Master Audio

And my receiver still shows Dolby Digital on the front of it.

This I believe truly shows that the PCM approach is not giving the DTS HD Master Audio that everyone says it is, it appears to only be capable of the older Dolby Digital format.

There obviously is a problem with the PS4 not being able to do Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio which is truly sad as these audio formats have been out for many years.

Another fail on Sony's part.

sorry but your wrong. lcpm 7.1 is the exact same as truhd and master audio. lcpm is uncompressed and better than dolby anyday of the week. sorry but everything you have posted does not make sence.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Lpcm can be a lot of different formats. Ranging from 2ch stereo to full discrete 7.1 surround... And many in between. So to say Lpcm is the same or better than DTS Master Audio can be misleading. It just depends on that the source component is decoding and sending to your audio receiver. Bitstream vs. Pcm had the same end result sonically.... Just a different path to get there.

In my system I have my game audio and bluray audio both set to bitstream as I will trust my Yamaha receiver to do a fantastic job of decoding the audio. I also like to do it this way because it makes it easier to see what sound is being output by just looking at my receivers front panel display. (Dts, Dolby Digital, Dolby Tru-HD, DTS Master Audio, or regular stereo.) If set to Pcm my receiver says the same thing no matter what (LPCM)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Fix what? there is nothing to fix. As others have said it is every bit the same as as Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-MA. The only reason why some people think it sounds better is that some receivers have different EQ/channel balance presets for the other modes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do t know if anyone answered this yet..but the games are mostly Dolby digital or DTS standard. Some games have DTS but won't tell you. If it has both. You want to select DTS (better bass) non HD unselected Dolby. Make sure your other sound quality options (PCM) is correct as well. I've had to sit there and switch on and off these settings a bunch of times to be bunk and get the best sound out from the PS to the receiver. Never use auto config. The PlayStation will recognize all available audio capabilities of the receiver, but might not let you change the auto format via blue ray or options menu in play. And with the games they will be in Dolby not DTS.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Why won't this get in the OP's skull? The PS4 (like the Xbox One) CANNOT bitstream Dolby TrueHD nor DTS HD MA for movies and games, likely due to neither Sony and Microsoft not wanting to pay licensing fees.

Both gen 8 consoles internally decode lossless codecs and send the uncompressed PCM signal to the receiver. If the HDMI audio out is set to bitstream, you will only get lossy audio.

Uncompressed PCM is just as good (and some argue) BETTER than the lossless audio codecs. What is there not to understand in any of this, it is a very simple concept to grasp?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello guys,

first allow me to apologize for bad english writing, i m not confortable with it .

I have audio issues with my Ps4 ( bought it last week ), and it cant read some blu ray audio tracks properly.
Let me explain : most blu ray audio in english are 5.1 /6.1/7.1 True HD / DTS HD etc. and our home audio ( french in my case ) is only 5.1
But the problem is that the PS4 is not able to read audio when it s more than 5.1 , so i cant watch movies in english ( and i dont want to watch in french ), there s no sound at all
When i switch to blu ray audio settings, it only works in french or other language but not english which is often more than 5.1, like if the AVR could not do the downmix

I just replaced the ps3 by Ps4 and didnt change anything else, im having AVR + a 5.1, same TV..
Ps4 is PCM linear, tried to switch to bitstream, not working

cheers;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do t know if anyone answered this yet..but the games are mostly Dolby digital or DTS standard. Some games have DTS but won't tell you. If it has both. You want to select DTS (better bass) non HD unselected Dolby. Make sure your other sound quality options (PCM) is correct as well. I've had to sit there and switch on and off these settings a bunch of times to be bunk and get the best sound out from the PS to the receiver. Never use auto config. The PlayStation will recognize all available audio capabilities of the receiver, but might not let you change the auto format via blue ray or options menu in play. And with the games they will be in Dolby not DTS.
This is not correct. Video games dynamically create a PCM audio stream, which at one time had to be encoded to Dolby Digital or DTS in order to be transported via optical/coaxial due to bandwidth constraints. The receiver would then decode the audio back to PCM.

This is no longer required with LPCM. The step of encoding is not needed as HDMI has the necessary bandwidth to support unencoded/decoded audio.

The PS4 has both an encoder and decoder. You can decide if you want your PS4 or AVR to do all the audio work, and in the context of games the answer is LPCM for optimum settings.

You can also only get 7.1 surround for games using the LPCM setting. Blurays don't have the same requirement. If you're using your PS4 for games, you'll want to use LPCM. Otherwise, it's up to your discretion.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Battlefront is said to feature Dolby Atmos which I believe is for PC only. Could PS4 support Atmos or DTSX games in the future?
Perhaps a firmware update would add it?

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Battlefront is said to feature Dolby Atmos which I believe is for PC only. Could PS4 support Atmos or DTSX games in the future?
Perhaps a firmware update would add it?
First we'll have to wait for the details of the atmos implementation on PC, but given how much more likely a console is to be hooked up to a home theater, I figure if they could have implemented it on PS4, they would have. So...maybe, but probably not.

·
UHD Addict
37,084 Posts
Why won't this get in the OP's skull? The PS4 (like the Xbox One) CANNOT bitstream Dolby TrueHD nor DTS HD MA for movies and games, likely due to neither Sony and Microsoft not wanting to pay licensing fees.

Both gen 8 consoles internally decode lossless codecs and send the uncompressed PCM signal to the receiver. If the HDMI audio out is set to bitstream, you will only get lossy audio.

Uncompressed PCM is just as good (and some argue) BETTER than the lossless audio codecs. What is there not to understand in any of this, it is a very simple concept to grasp?
??? Did sony take the BD bitstream feature away? BEcause previously you could bitstream Dolby True HD/DTS-HD MA from a Blu-ray Disc on the PS4. Unlike the XBOne.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello all. Im not sure if anyone else has figured it out but the ps4 can bitstream dts hd ma. I havent tried dolby true hd. One person wrote that their receiver only outputs dolby digital when they put a blu ray movie in and they switch the movie audio output to bitstream, which was the case for me. However once you START THE ACUTAL MOVIE, the receiver will output dts hd ma. I attached a photo if no one believes me.

Attachments

·
UHD Addict
37,084 Posts
Hello all. Im not sure if anyone else has figured it out but the ps4 can bitstream dts hd ma. I havent tried dolby true hd. One person wrote that their receiver only outputs dolby digital when they put a blu ray movie in and they switch the movie audio output to bitstream, which was the case for me. However once you START THE ACUTAL MOVIE, the receiver will output dts hd ma. I attached a photo if no one believes me.
Yes. The PS4 will bitstream the legacy and also the advanced audio codecs. This is nothing new.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts