AVS Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hello all. Im not sure if anyone else has figured it out but the ps4 can bitstream dts hd ma. I havent tried dolby true hd. One person wrote that their receiver only outputs dolby digital when they put a blu ray movie in and they switch the movie audio output to bitstream, which was the case for me. However once you START THE ACUTAL MOVIE, the receiver will output dts hd ma. I attached a photo if no one believes me.

Under Audio Format my choices are Linear PCM, Bitstream Dolby and Bitstream DTS. What am I doing wrong? My Denon AVR2112 says Multi-Channel In 7.1.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Under Audio Format my choices are Linear PCM, Bitstream Dolby and Bitstream DTS. What am I doing wrong? My Denon AVR2112 says Multi-Channel In 7.1.
The main PS4 system audio settings are specifically for games and the applications.

Audio formats for actual Blu-Ray movies have a separate audio setting only accessible once a Blu-Ray movie is playing from the on-screen PS4 menus (either by pressing triangle or options, I forget which). Set the audio for Blu-Ray movies once you have a movie actually playing and you'll have an option for bitstreaming (which will bitstream whichever lossless audio source the movie provides).

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks I will give that a try. Does the setting remain for all movies or do I have to do it every time I play a movie?

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
The main PS4 system audio settings are specifically for games and the applications.

Audio formats for actual Blu-Ray movies have a separate audio setting only accessible once a Blu-Ray movie is playing from the on-screen PS4 menus (either by pressing triangle or options, I forget which). Set the audio for Blu-Ray movies once you have a movie actually playing and you'll have an option for bitstreaming (which will bitstream whichever lossless audio source the movie provides).

I knew the settings for games and movies were separate, but I wasn't sure how to access the settings for the movies. That's good info to have.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Changing the (Blu-Ray) audio settings to Bitstream is necessary if you want to take advantage of the new formats (Dolby Atmos, DTS: X). If you don't have a system capable of those then you can leave your settings as LPCM just like the regular PS4 audio settings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I went through the process of trying to get my blu-rays to play in DTS HD master Audio (As they all say they are capable of on the back of the package and in the BR Menus.

1.) I set General audio output in the PS4 menus to Output as PCM.

2.) Inserted Blu-Ray disc and then went to internal PS4 audio output settings and set to bitstream(direct) as stated in many forums about this

3.) Verified the audio output of the blu-ray was set to DTS HD Master Audio

And my receiver still shows Dolby Digital on the front of it.

This I believe truly shows that the PCM approach is not giving the DTS HD Master Audio that everyone says it is, it appears to only be capable of the older Dolby Digital format.

There obviously is a problem with the PS4 not being able to do Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio which is truly sad as these audio formats have been out for many years.

Another fail on Sony's part.
Did you wait until the movie was playing to change the audio output to bitstream? I was having the same issue, I waited until the movie was playing, then hit options and selected bitstream and my receiver showed DTS-HD MSTR.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
So I went through the process of trying to get my blu-rays to play in DTS HD master Audio (As they all say they are capable of on the back of the package and in the BR Menus.

1.) I set General audio output in the PS4 menus to Output as PCM.

2.) Inserted Blu-Ray disc and then went to internal PS4 audio output settings and set to bitstream(direct) as stated in many forums about this

3.) Verified the audio output of the blu-ray was set to DTS HD Master Audio

And my receiver still shows Dolby Digital on the front of it.

This I believe truly shows that the PCM approach is not giving the DTS HD Master Audio that everyone says it is, it appears to only be capable of the older Dolby Digital format.

There obviously is a problem with the PS4 not being able to do Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio which is truly sad as these audio formats have been out for many years.

Another fail on Sony's part.

My receiver reads Dolby True HD and DTS HDMA from my PS4 just fine.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I frankly cannot figure out how to get the PS4 to output in DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby True HD Audio. Nothing seems to be working for games. only Dolby Digital.
Old thread but same problem. My PS3 when set "Bitstream" showed on my Yamaha AVR display if it was True Dolby HD 7.1 or Dolby Mastered etc depending on the Bluray. I plugged in my new (for Grand Son) PS4 and set it to Bitstream and selected 7.1 ..... I hear all 7 speakers on True Dolby HD Bluray movie I just paused as my AVR display shows PCM??????????????. Someone Please advise where in Settings should I be adjusting or does the PS3 we used for years ( I miss it) or does he PS3 differ from the PS4? ............."RANT".......... I hate the PS4 won't play music CD's. I need a lager set of shelves to hook up the PS to HDMI 4 :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
I plugged in my new (for Grand Son) PS4 and set it to Bitstream and selected 7.1 ..... I hear all 7 speakers on True Dolby HD Bluray movie I just paused as my AVR display shows PCM??????????????.
You need to open the options menu during Blu-ray disc playback and set the output to bitstream. You only have to do it once and should save.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
The PS4 doesnt play well with some receivers. Surprisingly, I had problems with an older Sony reciever I acquired to replace my dying Denon.

You would think that Sony equipment would communicate with each other seamlessly, but nope. Lots of problematic quirks. I chalked it down to a modern co sole hooked up to an older reciever.

Finally got a proper replament to my Denon (another Denon) and lo and behold, all the issues I was having with the Sony reciever went away and everything is working as it should.

Weird.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
With my new reciever, even the dreaded Netflix/LPCM problem disapleared. When I set my PS4 to PCM, netflix will still play surround content when available.

This seems to be a compatibility issue with the reciever. My new Denon fixed all that. No more problems. This is why I stick with Denon.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey guys and gals,

I have been wondering why I can't seem to get my receiver to output True HD or Master Audio from my PS4.

I am feeding HDMi from PS4 to the receiver.

I have a Pioneer SC-1323-K and have set the audio output on the PS4 to Dolby (bitstream) but I only ever get Dolby Digital on the front of my receiver. How can I get True HD? (Or switch to Bistream (DTS) and get Master Audio)????

Please help!
While playing the movie, press the option button on the controller and then select settings, under audio choose, bitstream(direct).

There, you have now DTS Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Atmos on your receiver.

·
Registered
890 Posts
While playing the movie, press the option button on the controller and then select settings, under audio choose, bitstream(direct).

There, you have now DTS Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Atmos on your receiver.
Hi there. I found your relatively recent response to this. This is great but how can I do this when I'm playing an MKV using the media player app? I have all of my blu rays ripped to MKV in full video/audio quality and would like to have those playback with the HD audio (DTSHD/TrueHD). Can the PS4 media player do this? Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi there. I found your relatively recent response to this. This is great but how can I do this when I'm playing an MKV using the media player app? I have all of my blu rays ripped to MKV in full video/audio quality and would like to have those playback with the HD audio (DTSHD/TrueHD). Can the PS4 media player do this? Thanks.
Hi, I have no idea, haven’t used a MKV file since the PS3.

But you can read a little about it here.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/230100/dts-hd-master-audio-poor-sound-quality-on-ps4

41 - 59 of 59 Posts