Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
currently i have a replay 3030, but believe the hard disk failed. i am considering either upgrading by purchasing a new drive or by purchasing a new tivo unit. i question the viability of replay to stay in existence as the sonic blue stock is below a $. if sblu fails what happens to the service?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
If SBLU fails they'll be bought by someone else or we'll come up with a way to give ourselves homegrown guides.

But no stock talk here.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hey, you guys get these posts, too? :) I guess we're not alone.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
As things stand now, only monthly people would lose their ability to do manual recordings. The lifetime members have their units activated forever even if they never contact the mothership again.

In practical theory, however, the people here or elsewhere will come up with a relatively easy way to get guide info into the units and keep them working.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cymro
If SB goes under, do owners of 5xxx lose their ability to do even manual recording?
Only if you're on the monthly plan.

Lifetime subscriber's units will still playback and do manual recordings even if it can't call home for the guide data.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Anyone remember Divx from Circuit City? When they cancelled it, Circuit City really made good. I know that everyone who bought a unit could get some money back ($100 if I remember correctly). I think even the "rental" discs were activated (not sure about this one). Hopefully, SB will come through too, but who knows. It is all speculation. SB could be a real winner in no time if the holidays come through on the 5k's.

Cheers

·
Registered
606 Posts
Other questions:

Does sending shows over the internet from one Relay to another depend on the continued existence of SB or their servers?

Does setting a timer based manual record operation on a distant Replay depend on the continued existence of SB or one of their servers?

I already purchased a 5160 and installation on my network went very smoothly. I'm planning to set up a 5040 in the UK at my cousin's house (complete with PAL to NTSC converter and PAL tuner), so that I can exchange shows with him. However, I want to be able to set up manually timed shows even when he's not at home.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
...Does sending shows over the internet from one Relay to another depend on the continued existence of SB or their servers?
The current implementation (already subject to change) might but it's hardly the only one.
Quote:
...Does setting a timer based manual record operation on a distant Replay depend on the continued existence of SB or one of their servers?
Nope if those units are lifetime they should still record manually. As for MyReplayTV (much the same as the case for guides) a void would almost certainly be filled if it ever came to that.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I think with newer units, people are more safe than ever if RTV goes under. With the network connection, we could much easier transfer the guide to the unit. Am I right?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Tanks again for your prompt reply.

I'm getting to feel quite comfortable about my purchase. I'll also go ahead with setting up another unit at my cousin's house.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Amazingly Smooth
Anyone remember Divx from Circuit City? When they cancelled it, Circuit City really made good. I know that everyone who bought a unit could get some money back ($100 if I remember correctly). I think even the "rental" discs were activated (not sure about this one).
They offered the rebate on all DIVX players (which cost between $0-100 more than comparable DVD players), and actually put the movies on sale ($3-$3.50 on sale for $2.50 per movie) and you could watch them all you wanted until a certain date. Movies that you had 'silvered' (made permanent by paying $10-20) worked until a certain date also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.