AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I don't care about specific frequency response or ultimate flatness, and just want to find what's the best position for my sub among 3 or 4 options, will an Audyssey microphone be sufficient, or do I have to buy a calibrated microphone?

Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
You really need a calibrated mic and REW. Testing various positions with Audyssey will not be effective and at best will be extremely time consuming. If you get a calibrated mic and REW you can probably test a combination of 4 locations in less than 2 hours once you learn how to use REW.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
You really need a calibrated mic and REW. Testing various positions with Audyssey will not be effective and at best will be extremely time consuming. If you get a calibrated mic and REW you can probably test a combination of 4 locations in less than 2 hours once you learn how to use REW.
Here is mic that works well.
IMM6.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,381 Posts
I think the OP is asking whether he can use the Audyssey mic with REW instead of a Umik-1 or a UMM-6 . The answer is that we don't know much about the calibration of the Audyssey mics, just that they are "batch" calibrated and they are not interchangeable between receivers. I would suggest getting a microphone with an individual cal file to ensure the best results. However, some have used simple SPL meters with REW and gotten results they were content with.

Good luck.

Craig

Reactions: darthray

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,746 Posts
The testing I have seen in the past showed that the Audysey mic is reasonably and surprisingly good. Using it for the purpose of setting up your sub to get a smoother response should be fairly effective. It's not as accurate as a Umik-1, but close enough to be better than nothing if the Umik-1 is not in budget.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses. I'll give the Audyssey mic a try with REW, hoping that I get useful results as bear123 suggested in the comment above. If it isn't satisfactory, I'll give the iMM-6 a chance. It's more reasonably priced than the USB options, and since I expect this to be a one-time exercise of comparing just few possible positioning options I'd rather limit how much I spend (if at at all).

·
Registered
491 Posts
Umik1vs Audyssey.jpg

Umik is black. Audyssey is red. 1m from speaker

Umik1vs Audyssey(correction).jpg

The same but with correction file for Umik applied to Audyssey

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
I suppose you could compare the Audyssey mic against a known calibrated mic.

For example, here is the response of my UMIK-1. I obtained this by inverting the offset values in my Cross Spectrum Labs calibration file:

So if the calibration file effectively gets this mic to flat as compared to an expensive reference mic at CSL, you then know what flat is. You could then, in theory, measure the Audyssey mic and, using the difference between the two, create offsets for it.

I'm not sure if anyone has ever done that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just ordered the UMIK1. I'll try to calibrate my Audyssey mic, and if it works I may end up selling the UMIK1.

·
Premium Member
12,381 Posts
I just ordered the UMIK1. I'll try to calibrate my Audyssey mic, and if it works I may end up selling the UMIK1.
I guess you ended up doing exactly what you were trying to avoid doing when you asked your original question. Oh well... 😣

Let us know what you find please!

Craig

1 - 16 of 16 Posts