AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be moving into a new house at the end of October and have the OK to assemble a new HT. I have a good idea of what I want and one of them is Rockets. I auditioned them at a friends house a while back and fell in love. The question I have is if I can mount the RSS300s from the ceiling? The room I am putting my gear in is an up stairs loft. It is about 20" x 13" and their is no wall on the left side. I really like the idea of adaptive dipole for surround because of the diffused sound but I am not sure how ceiling mounting them in a room that has only 3 sides will work. I guess I could go with some RS150s or RS250s rear mounted but I wanted to see what people though about my idea on the RSS300s first.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Don't know what to tell you other then that I prefer Barry Jive and his Uptown Five to Sonic Death Monkey. ;)

or Kathleen Turner Overdrive.

:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So few people actually get that reference it is kinda sad....

Good job.

·
Registered
643 Posts
:D My favorite movie.

My signature here used to be a line from High Fidelity.

·
Registered
93 Posts
SonicDeathMonkey,

Since I have no side walls in my configuration, I have both my RSS300's side surrounds mounted from the ceiling (see the link). I used Omnimount 20's for this, but you have to be willing to drill into the top of the speaker.

Two hints--(i) use white-out to mark the location for the holes on the speaker top; nothing else will leave a mark on the glossy black cap; and (ii) be sure to tighten the Omnimount's allen screw every six months or so, as typical levels of HT base can loosen it. :)

RSS300

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ventinari. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Did your drilling have to go all the way into the speaker cavity? Did it effect the sound reproduction? And finally, with 2 walls missing on the sides how do yours sound? The reason I wanted to use the RSS300's was because of the difussed sound. I assumed it would make my missing wall a non issue acoustically speaking.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think the screws extend a little into the cavity, but I have not noticed any degradation in sound--rattling, etc. In my speaker system prior to the Rockets, I had direct radiating bookshelves in the same location (e.g., ceiling-mounted), and I much prefer the diffuse soundstage of the 300's. YMMV, however. To me, it seems that ambient sounds (rain, jungle noises) fill the room, while still providing good panning of direct noises (helicopter, spaceships, voices (rare))--note that the "direct" sounds lose some of their "direct-ness", but not has much as you think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.