AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some High quality vga cables for my switch box. I went to local best buy but they only have crappy ones. Can some one recomend a site that sells high quality ones at a reasonable price?

Thanks!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi Savageone,

I tried online but couldn't find one that has a good description of its build quality.

I just went to a local computer outlet and bought one for about $15. It's a 6ft cable, really thick vs. the really thin ones they sell at Best Buy. Not sure about the thickness issue but since the AA transcoder comes with the same kind, I figured it's probably good enough.

Thanks,

Errol

------------------
Keohi HDTV

Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

·
Registered
384 Posts
Depending on your definition of "reasonable price", Better Cables, one of our forum's sponsors, offers a variety of high quality vga cables. Can't say that I've used any but I am impressed with the quality of the other products that I have purchased from them.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Quote:
...thick vs. the really thin ones they sell at Best Buy. Not sure about the thickness issue...
Glimmie posted an interesting tip a month or so ago that a VGA cable that is less than 5/8" (I think) in diameter is not of higher quality. Impedence, I believe, was the focus of the discussion.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
988 Posts
I tried a normal VGA cable, then made my own, then went to Better Cables. Third try was a charm. They made a VGA to BNC breakout using the thin wires that was at least as good as the full-sized coax I used in my second attempt, and was much more reliable. Soldering 5 coax cables onto a VGA connector is physically demanding, and requires a lot of strain relief to keep the wires from breaking. The thinner coax from Better Cable worked great. They will also do full size coax --I'm sure without the problems that I had when I made my own. Either way, they are highly recommended.

------------------

[email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.