AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey I'm new here, hope this thread is okay to post,

Please, any help would be great, I'm looking for something worth the money, don't want to spend over $3,000.

Currently I have a Sony  which is 720p, 1100 lumens. projected on a 1.1 gain 120'' screen from 14ft away. mounted on a shelf.

Heres what I found so far, I was wondering which would be the best bang for my buck.

Epson: 

8350 for 1,249

3020 for 1,549

5020ub for 2,249

and

5030ub for 2,484.

8350 has 2000 lumens vs 5020/5030 which has 2400 does 400 really make a difference ?

I really want to lean towards the 5030 but is it worth 1,200 more than the 8350?

My room is mostly dedicated dark room with the occasional ceiling mounted lights on full blast which makes my current projector almost un-viewable, but when its movie time its completely dark.

If there a better brand to look at then by all means point me in a better direction, just trying to get a nice picture that could match a TV image.

Thanks guys ! :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you and would love to hear what people think. Struggling to decide do I save some money now to spend in 3-5 years when 4k becomes "affordable" or spend the extra coin now on the 5030 and plan to live with it for at least 7 years.

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
The 8350/8345 is a very versatile projector, but doesn't offer the lens quality, build quality, or image quality which the 5030 has. Not really even very close. It doesn't have 3D support which may matter to some, but it is a very flexible projector and can handle the screen size, no problem, even with some lights on.

The 5030 is certainly worth the jump and it's brother from Panasonic, the AE8000 are very comparable LCD projectors with great lens shift, good zoom range, and top notch image processing and overall quality. They certainly are worth the extra money and give you a quality product for that money.

Now, it always seems that people say the same thing: "I have light control! I can turn out the lights." - Congrats, you have a home like everyone else. You don't have light control unless you are actually controlling the reflected light from that giant 120" diagonal reflector hanging on your wall. You do this with dark paint, dark carpet, dark walls, ceiling, and preferably dark furniture.

So, do you REALLY have light control, or can you turn the lights out?

With some level of light control, the advantages of going to better projectors becomes more and more evident. In fact, I would go so far as to say in a better room you shouldn't consider LCD at all, but should go with the Sony or JVC LCoS projectors which are available for right around $3,000 and are flat out superior to the LCD based models.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts