AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not trying to cross post, but this may be a better place for my questions. Cut and paste from another thread:

Comcast is coming Thursday to install the HD box. How does this work with a VCR? Obviously, the cable comes in from the wall and then into the box and then compoment plugs go to the TV. If I want to run the signal through a VCR, are these boxes capable of sending SD through Coax simultaneously to a VCR?

It is bugging the crap out of me how the hookup will be. Another thing I am thinking is that - maybe only the dedicated HD channels come out of the component and the SD still comes out of coax meaning I would have to change inputs when I go from HD to SD nd vice versa?

More:

Thanks, but still not clear. I'll assume the component output from the HD cable box has to go directly to the TV. Then what if I want to also get the signal of the same cable box to go through the VCR? I am all set on options to get the VCR back to the TV (composite or coax).

For example, I am watching an analog channel and want to record it and watch it. Do the analog channels still go through the HD-component signal or do they have to come through either a coax or composite out from the cable box? I am guessing that if analog channels don't come through the HD/component, I will have to switch inputs on the TV when watching analog vs. HD. If this is true then I understand how the wiring should be done:

cable from wall into HD box

component from HD box to TV

coax or composite out of HD box to vcr

vcr to tv via coax or composite

IF the box can push anlog through component AND coax/composite at the same time, then:

same as above, but I do not have to change source on tv to record, only to replay?

Does this make any sense? There is no scenario in the GWIII manual for HD/analog cable box tuner and a VCR. I guess this will all be answered when Comcast gets here, trouble is, I will be at work and I want to make sure they optimize the connections for my situation.

Joe

One more:

does the box output regular channels through both the coax out and the component out, or do I have to switch inputs on the TV whe going from a HD channel to a analog channel?

Given all of the above, how does this hookup work?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Hey LJ,

I just got the 6200(HD box) installed into my HDTV, and I can tell you that the component out of the box will go to Component 1 ( or 2 on some sets- including mine), and there is also an RF connector to go to either the TV or VCR ( says right on it TV/VCR), it ALSO has a DVI out, but I don't have a DVI cable(do have DVI on my TV), and I don't THINK it is being used in my area anyway.

When I watch cable I use component 1, and use the box, it is ALSO hooked up to ant A input on the TV for some reason.

I have switched between the 2 inputs and component looks better.

If I want to tape some while watching it I would hookup a patch cord from tv/vcr to vcr to the tv instead of how it is hooked up now ( I'm not worried about HD, as it isn't a DVHS anyay).

I will be installing a splitter B4 it gets to the TV ( I will use a High Quality splitter, as it carries HD) and running to the VCR input and THEN going to the TV ant a instead, so I can tape whatever I want while ( using the internal tuner of the VCR) watching other stuff through component.

The 6200 has a component out, an RF out ( F connectors) a composite out, and S-Video out.

Audio has composite out, digital coax out, and Toslink out, to go along with the RF out combination signal.

There are more than enough connections to do what you want, BUT I will split it B4 the box so I can tape a different channel than I am watching( of course it will NOT be digital- but like I said I only have an old analog vcr anyway).

You do NOT have to switch inputs to watch different programming if you go into component in on TV. The box sends all programming to component.

Hope I was of some help with your question, if you need anything else I'll be glad to try and help you.

m

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by muzz
Hey LJ,

I just got the 6200(HD box) installed into my HDTV, and I can tell you that the component out of the box will go to Component 1 ( or 2 on some sets- including mine), and there is also an RF connector to go to either the TV or VCR ( says right on it TV/VCR), it ALSO has a DVI out, but I don't have a DVI cable(do have DVI on my TV), and I don't THINK it is being used in my area anyway.

When I watch cable I use component 1, and use the box, it is ALSO hooked up to ant A input on the TV for some reason.

I have switched between the 2 inputs and component looks better.

If I want to tape some while watching it I would hookup a patch cord from tv/vcr to vcr to the tv instead of how it is hooked up now ( I'm not worried about HD, as it isn't a DVHS anyay).

I will be installing a splitter B4 it gets to the TV ( I will use a High Quality splitter, as it carries HD) and running to the VCR input and THEN going to the TV ant a instead, so I can tape whatever I want while ( using the internal tuner of the VCR) watching other stuff through component.

The 6200 has a component out, an RF out ( F connectors) a composite out, and S-Video out.

Audio has composite out, digital coax out, and Toslink out, to go along with the RF out combination signal.

There are more than enough connections to do what you want, BUT I will split it B4 the box so I can tape a different channel than I am watching( of course it will NOT be digital- but like I said I only have an old analog vcr anyway).

You do NOT have to switch inputs to watch different programming if you go into component in on TV. The box sends all programming to component.

Hope I was of some help with your question, if you need anything else I'll be glad to try and help you.

m
Perfect! Exactly the info I was looking for! When going from the cable box to the VCR, do you think I am better off going composite or RF? Will it matter in terms of PQ? I am also thinking if I go cable box to VCR with composites, I will not need to keep the VCR tuned to channel 3?

Thanks!

LJ

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Glad I was able to help Larry.

If you want to watch the SAME channel you are taping you can go from TV/VCR ( RF-out from box) to vcr, or use composite.

I would try the composite out ( to vcr Video/audio in) first, as I BELIEVE it is supposed to be better than the rf (F) connections.... although some folks have better luck using the RF. I would try both and see which looks better.

Like I said if you have a high quality unit ( vcr), the 6200 also has S-Video out as well.

If you want to watch a channel and tape a different one I BELIEVE you will have to split the cable B4 the Box ( use a High quality splitter and cables), and have 1 rf line going to VCR input ( which in turn would go to the tv input), and the other RF line going to the cable box, at which time you will have RF out, Component out ( I use this), composite out, DVI out ( not enabled on my box- as I have firmware 5.03), firewire( also not enabled from what I have heard....

Like I said there is also plenty of audio output options for you to use depending on your setup.

I am almost sure you will need to have the VCR on channel 3 regardless of what input you use if you are coming out of the cable box.

m

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by muzz
Glad I was able to help Larry.

If you want to watch the SAME channel you are taping you can go from TV/VCR ( RF-out from box) to vcr, or use composite.

I would try the composite out ( to vcr Video/audio in) first, as I BELIEVE it is supposed to be better than the rf (F) connections.... although some folks have better luck using the RF. I would try both and see which looks better.

Like I said if you have a high quality unit ( vcr), the 6200 also has S-Video out as well.

If you want to watch a channel and tape a different one I BELIEVE you will have to split the cable B4 the Box ( use a High quality splitter and cables), and have 1 rf line going to VCR input ( which in turn would go to the tv input), and the other RF line going to the cable box, at which time you will have RF out, Component out ( I use this), composite out, DVI out ( not enabled on my box- as I have firmware 5.03), firewire( also not enabled from what I have heard....

Like I said there is also plenty of audio output options for you to use depending on your setup.

I am almost sure you will need to have the VCR on channel 3 regardless of what input you use if you are coming out of the cable box.

m
Thanks again. I am all set on the splitter. Right now I have digital cable and split the signal though the wall. One goes directly to TV and the other through the box-->vcr-->then back to TV. I can watch one thing and record another. I am pretty fired up for HDTV, but is was bugging me how the pass throughs would work when using compoment, which I was not familiar with.

Basically - the confirmation that both SD and HD go through the component AND the HD box can send SD simultaneiously to it's composite/RF out makes it very clear.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Excellent!

I'll be honest I really like the 6200, and On Demand ( premium channels) is great, you can watch/pause/stop and resume whenever you want. I started watching a movie last night, stopped it, and am about to resume it in a few minutes.

Have fun Larry!!

m

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.