Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused, even after all my reading

Two questions.

1) Is No Repeat mean don't record the same shows twice? Or don't record episode 'repeats'

2) If it means don't record episode repeats. What happens if I record a week worth of seinfeld and lets say tuesdays and thursdays are the same show. Will it skip thursdays after recording tuesdays?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My understanding is that the "No Repeat" feature looks for the word "Repeat" in the description. Most non-network programs don't have that in there description so it is next to useless. I prefer to use autorecord as that won't record duplicate programs if the program description or title is listed, and the program is still on the hard drive. It WILL record duplicate shows if there is no description or program title. (Osbournes is a good example.)

Hope this helps

-Oo

·
Registered
88 Posts
My understanding of "No Repeats" is that the system will not record an episode if it has already recorded it and it is still on the hard drive. If you erase an episode and it comes up again, then it will record it.

Each series show has an episode name in the Advanced Program Guide (APG) which is what UTV uses when setting up and making scheduled recordings. This is what it checks against for "Repeats". My understanding is that "Repeat" only shows up during an episode's original release year. All those Seinfeld episodes are obviously "repeats" so it would not make any sense to label them that way.

So I'm pretty sure that the UTV is NOT looking for the word "Repeat" in the description. It is checking the episode name against what it has already recorded.

I hope this helps.

foghorn

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with the simple notion of "no repeat" meaning that you have never recoreded it. And this is never recoreded since the 3.5 update which started the "History" thing. It also pertains to the type of recording you do. For example, if you do a "search" record and a "series" record for the same show, it will record duplicates because the entry made in the history is based on that record's ID. So say you had a series record for Six Feet Under and now you elimated the recording item and create a new auto-search or even another series record, it will record "repeats".

·
Registered
151 Posts
Quote:
Each series show has an episode name in the Advanced Program Guide (APG) which is what UTV uses when setting up and making scheduled recordings. This is what it checks against for "Repeats". My understanding is that "Repeat" only shows up during an episode's original release year. All those Seinfeld episodes are obviously "repeats" so it would not make any sense to label them that way.
This is correct. The "No Repeats" checkbox means don't record the program if it is marked as a repeat in the APG program guide.

UltimateTV will never record a program that is already on your disk.

UltimateTV currently does not use the history list to determine if you have previously recorded a program.

·
Registered
524 Posts
UTV's post is correct... "Repeat" is a "FLAG" in the APG for current shows during an episode's original release year. If is only good if the programmer sets it to begin with.. %^&*... this is why some manufactures use other methods to determine the same, such as look at the release date and presence in your history file. For UTV to to use the same method could be considered to be a copyright protection violation...perhaps.. :D

So "repeat" insn't much good for anything... :( mainly because the APG is specification is not enforced that well to begin with, and the voice Directv has isn't very loud in such issues.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wrb
So "repeat" insn't much good for anything... :( mainly because the APG is specification is not enforced that well to begin with, and the voice Directv has isn't very loud in such issues.
I wouldn't say that the "no repeats" checkbox isn't much good for anything. During the season, and particularly right before a "sweeps" month, the broadcasters air repeats of their programming. If you don't have the "no repeats" box checked, UTV will record these programs. If you had missed them the first time, that's good. But if you've already seen that "very special episode of ER to cherish" five times, then that's not good. It's especially not good if a recorded program is deleted to make room for it.

Now, if we could only come up with some algorithm to avoid recording a new episode of "Osbournes" or "South Park" five times each week. The only options so far are to keep the program on your hard disk (and UTV will not re-record the same program if it exists on the hard drive) or periodically go through your "upcoming programs" and disable the four additional scheduled recordings.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I had an auto record set for "evolution" on science channel. There were 4 showings, all with exactly the same description. Yet all 4 were recorded. I also had a strange one with the nba playoffs. Yesterday, it recorded the game twice, one starting at 4:30 and the other at 5:00.

Somethings pretty strange about how this feature works. Seams to be some bugs there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rocket
I had an auto record set for "evolution" on science channel. There were 4 showings, all with exactly the same description. Yet all 4 were recorded.
UTV does not look at the description in program guide, but the id tag that is associated with the description. If you look in History, I think you will see that the id tags for the four "Evolution" programs are different.

There is also a "generic" tag that is occasionally used. This is when the guide doesn't know anything about the program. In this case, UTV will record a program every time it comes on, even those the tags are the same.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zarkov

UTV does not look at the description in program guide, but the id tag that is associated with the description. If you look in History, I think you will see that the id tags for the four "Evolution" programs are different.

Actually, all 4 had the same id tag. However, the show was not actually what the guide said it was, but all 4 were the same however. Maybe this was a guide mess up.

I did a powerdown for a few hours, as I had not done this for quite some time.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zarkov

I wouldn't say that the "no repeats" checkbox isn't much good for anything.
I was testing CSI tonight even though I have the no repeat set... and it is not recording... but there is nothing in the apg indicating it is a repeat which however it is..

So not only is it useless it is almost impossible to predict..

If you set CSI to record without the repeat flag set then in records but you can't undo it unless you delete the event and start over..

As I said.... not much good for anything.. not to say they didn't try... ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.