AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to admit that a long timer like me does not know something that apparently is so basic, but what exactly does open matte mean? What is the process and how is it different from other filming processes? I have dutifully tried the search function, but could not find a decent description of Open Matte and other methods of filming.

Bob

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The site that thread links to is exceptional in describing all the different film processes. Now I have enough knowledge to be dangerous.

Bob

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
What I found interesting was the statement that "The original Todd-AO format also was shot at 30 frames per second, as opposed to the current standard of 24 frames per second."

I wonder if any of these titles ever came to be formatted onto DVD at 30 frames per second? If so, would anyone know what films that would be?

Also, the site shows an example of how an open matt shot shows on a 4:3 TV, however it fails to show what area is shown when formatted for 16x9. I'm pretty sure we still get the full vertical image (and more) though at the same time, I'm starting to wonder if some or even a little bit of the sides are cut off.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thebarnman
What I found interesting was the statement that "The original Todd-AO format also was shot at 30 frames per second, as opposed to the current standard of 24 frames per second."

I wonder if any of these titles ever came to be formatted onto DVD at 30 frames per second? If so, would anyone know what films that would be?
Here is a list of all Todd-AO films. I believe that all the ones that are on DVD were done from 24fps masters.

Quote:
Originally posted by Thebarnman

Also, the site shows an example of how an open matt shot shows on a 4:3 TV, however it fails to show what area is shown when formatted for 16x9. I'm pretty sure we still get the full vertical image (and more) though at the same time, I'm starting to wonder if some or even a little bit of the sides are cut off.
HDTV is 1.78 (16x9) and open matte is 1.85. If you have a CTR based display you have at least 4% overscan so the picture will fill the screen. With no overscan you will see very small black bars on top and bottom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.