AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a specific problem with my display device, which means (at the moment) that, if I want to drive it at its native resolution (1280 x 720), I *have* to run it at 60 Hz (until I can get the display firmware updated...).

I really want to use DScaler to de-interlace 25 Hz PAL, and the obvious rate to drive the display would be 50 or 75 Hz (but I can't...)

I'm not sure what the result (or if it's possible) of using DScaler to scale and deinterlace a PAL signal to a 1280 x 720 x 60Hz frame rate.

Could someone in the UK try it for me (if I ask REALLY nicely!). It would be great if you could view the results on a good monitor and see what the artifacts are like (if it is possible to do at all).

Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
It works fine. Dscaler doesn't care what the output refresh rate is.

I do a lot of my testing on an LCD monitor running at 60Hz and you see some motion artefacts on PAL material because of the mismatch but it is watchable.

John

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John,

Thank you very much for doing that - I really appreciate it :).

Would you say there was a noticeable difference between the artifacting at 60 Hz output than at 50 Hz? I can't get my head around how DScaler copes with the integer mismatch in frame rates?

Crucially, would you say that there was a less-artifacted image (not sure if this is good English!) with such an output compared with a simple PAL interlaced image at the same size?

·
Registered
839 Posts
The point of finding an accurate refresh rate is not really about getting rid of compression artefacts for instance, but is about getting smooth playback !

Try the now famous "pillar" scene at the beginning of the 5th element. Getting this particular scene with a slow panning to the right requires having a good refresh rate.

For the record, I'm myself using [email protected] all the time with a region 1 or 2 dvd, and everything is smooth.

In the case of PAL, being at 60hz is not so much a problem. Some frames are repeated (source is 50hz) but this is not as much a problem as having smooth ntsc playback at 50hz !

At 60hz, everything I play is smooth so I guess you should not worry about your resolution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.