AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to make sure I'm on the right track here... I've attached a jpeg showing various measurements for my room (room dimensions are for finished space) based on a lot of reading here and elsewhere on the web. Here is my layout logic;
Screen size: The general consensus seems to be to fit the biggest screen you can.
Viewing height: I placed the screen at the point where the lower 1/3 of the screen is at the line of sight for the main viewing position.
Viewing distance: (This is where I have the most confusion) I basically took a 60 degree field of view and moved the MVP back to where those angles intersected the screen edge, putting the MVP at 11 feet.

The screen will be an AT screen, so all speakers will be behind it. If someone can look over my pic and provide feedback, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I'm wanting to make sure I'm on the right track here... I've attached a jpeg showing various measurements for my room (room dimensions are for finished space) based on a lot of reading here and elsewhere on the web. Here is my layout logic;
Screen size: The general consensus seems to be to fit the biggest screen you can.
Viewing height: I placed the screen at the point where the lower 1/3 of the screen is at the line of sight for the main viewing position.
Viewing distance: (This is where I have the most confusion) I basically took a 60 degree field of view and moved the MVP back to where those angles intersected the screen edge, putting the MVP at 11 feet.

The screen will be an AT screen, so all speakers will be behind it. If someone can look over my pic and provide feedback, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Looks solid..
Question is , Do you like to view the screen at 60 degree's? If not, you should try some examples with your TV proportionately and see if you like to sit that close.
Referencing other 3rd parties as well...
"Depending on where you like to sit in a commercial theater you might have a viewing angle of anywhere from 36 to 60 degrees. Personal preference is therefore an important factor and should be a prime consideration when laying out your home theater."

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@sirjaymz - Thanks for the diagram and the referenced link! I'll be honest, I can't quite wrap my brain around the diagram, but the description of the resolutions to HVA's made sense.

With higher resolutions becoming the norm, I would anticipate watching more 4k content than anything else moving forward. So, using the 4k formula of .8 x 156 (my screen width) and dividing by 12 to convert to feet, gives me 10.4ft to the MVP... which would be slightly closer than I have things currently laid out.

What I need to do is to tape off my screen size on the wall (as has been suggested many times) and see how I like that size at my viewing distance. If I wind up feeling that I'm sitting too close, I can always reduce the screen size since I haven't purchased any equipment. I don't want to push the MVP back because I want to retain a decent amount of space behind the second row for the rear surrounds.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Also try visiting a showroom that has a projector and screen set up to see how it feels to you. Bring your tape measure. Explain that you are in the early stages of design, your house isn't even built yet, that you are just getting a feel for things and that you are not even considering any equipment purchases right now. Don't worry about makes, models, performance, etc. Just get a feel for what size feels right to you.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great suggestion Dave, thank you!

Don't even get me started on equipment... my head is currently spinning trying to get a handle on all the different projector specs, screen gains, etc... :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts