AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I, trying to ascertain whether the Xbox one is capable of putting video through unmolested.

Because the stations in my area broadcast in 720p and 1080i and I don't want to change the picture via scaling I set the Xbox to 1080p in the hopes it would pass through native,y

It doesn't however seem that is the case. I have two Panasonic plasma 720p/1080i sets (I have ample viewing distance where 1080p is really not worth an upgrade right now)

The tv is reporting 1080p I believe.

I'm using a tivo romio and have that set to 480i/p,720p,1080i in an attempt to leave the broadcast signal alone or allow the television to do any scaling

The quality seems ok to me now but I really want to make sure I'm setting this the best way possible, which perhaps means not using the Xbox pass through video. Which is a shame as the family is pretty used to voice control and we switch frequently within Xbox to various streaming apps and love tv

I should state none of is are HT geeks but I am a lifelong nerd who works in technology.

Thanks for the help all! I apologize as I Just realized this maybe should have gone in a sub forum. Mods feel free to move if so.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi all. I, trying to ascertain whether the Xbox one is capable of putting video through unmolested.

Because the stations in my area broadcast in 720p and 1080i and I don't want to change the picture via scaling I set the Xbox to 1080p in the hopes it would pass through native,y

It doesn't however seem that is the case. I have two Panasonic plasma 720p/1080i sets (I have ample viewing distance where 1080p is really not worth an upgrade right now)

The tv is reporting 1080p I believe.

I'm using a tivo romio and have that set to 480i/p,720p,1080i in an attempt to leave the broadcast signal alone or allow the television to do any scaling

The quality seems ok to me now but I really want to make sure I'm setting this the best way possible, which perhaps means not using the Xbox pass through video. Which is a shame as the family is pretty used to voice control and we switch frequently within Xbox to various streaming apps and love tv

I should state none of is are HT geeks but I am a lifelong nerd who works in technology.

Thanks for the help all! I apologize as I Just realized this maybe should have gone in a sub forum. Mods feel free to move if so.
The Xbox One is going to upscale it to 1080p. If you back out of the TV mode of the xbox it will take you to the Xbox One desktop, so you know that is going to be in whatever resolution you have the Xbox One set to. It would be impossible for it to pass through the original signal without altering it. Also, I have heard it adds a considerable amount of lag as well, as evidenced by people that have tried to daisychain gaming systems through the Xbox One's HDMI input.

I've also noticed what appears to be increased macroblocking and compression artifacts when watching Bell satellite TV through the Xbox one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts