Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the HDTV FAQ...

"If I buy an HDTV-ready set today, will it be obsolete tomorrow?

That depends on whether you buy an 'all-in-one' integrated DTV set, where the tuner is part of the set. There's a remote possibility that the modulation standards for broadcasting 8VSB DTV over cable systems may still change."

I was thinking about getting a sony xbr2. One day they could change the standards and then my HDTV would be worthless?!?!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From another member:

"One thing you should keep in mind when considering a TV with an integrated DirecTV tuner: At his press conference yesterday discussing his proposal for Dish to acquire DirecTV, Charlie Ergen said that his intent for the combined company was to migrate the DirecTV user base to Dish's technology. This would require all DirecTV subscribers to replace their STB's. Charlie said that Dish would offer some incentives to make this relatively painless, but I wouldn't expect his generosity to extend to replacing your entire TV.

Obviously, this wouldn't end up being a problem if the takeover offer were unsuccessful, but it would be a BIG problem if it were."

Can someone explain this to me? I'm ignorant and need some serious help. If i buy an xbr2, could i be SOL at some point in the future?

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Nobody knows for sure what is going to happen.

Some people are waiting to see, but it doesn't

make sense to wait forever.

The broadcasters are building up an investment

in 8VSB broadcast equipment so it is unlikely that

that would all just stop using them in a hurry.

Anything new is likely to be phased in gradually.

Unfortunately HDTV is still so new that any

suggestion of big changes stops people from

buying at a time when we need to keep things

moving.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So...if a HDTV already has tuner in it, there's no hope if they switch standards? You can't just buy another tuner for it?

What about HDTVs without a built-in tuner? Are they impervious to this problem?

Notice i'm talking in as general of terms as possible because i'm not exactly a HDTV wizard. I'd really just like to know how safe i am buying the sony xbr2. What would happen if this deal between Dish and DirecTV were successful? Would i be fairly compensated? I'm only 21, so 4K is a lot of money to have go down the drain.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RyN1399
I'd really just like to know how safe i am buying the sony xbr2. What would happen if this deal between Dish and DirecTV were successful? Would i be fairly compensated?
There seems to be a lot of confusion re the internal tuner of the KD-34XBR2. The internal tuner is not for DirecTV or DISH... it is for OTA only.

Any satellite or cable system connected to this set needs the appropriate STB.

There is always the remote possibility that HDTV broadcast standards could change. NTSC broadcast standards could also change. Could but not very likely given the investment that broadcasters and consumers have made in equipment.

If that were to happen then the internal tuner of the KD-34XBR2 MAY have to be replaced. Since the tuner is board based it can be replaced just like a peripheral in a computer. You could also use an external tuner connected via one of the component inputs.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John, thanks for clarifying for me. So it's not so bad afterall. I wondered why sony would release something that could be doomed from the beginning. This is the first time i've looked into DTV. I'm a bit confused at this point, but i'll pick things up eventually from reading everyone's posts. :)

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RyN1399
From another member:

"One thing you should keep in mind when considering a TV with an integrated DirecTV tuner: At his press conference yesterday discussing his proposal for Dish to acquire DirecTV, Charlie Ergen said that his intent for the combined company was to migrate the DirecTV user base to Dish's technology. This would require all DirecTV subscribers to replace their STB's. Charlie said that Dish would offer some incentives to make this relatively painless, but I wouldn't expect his generosity to extend to replacing your entire TV.

Obviously, this wouldn't end up being a problem if the takeover offer were unsuccessful, but it would be a BIG problem if it were."

Can someone explain this to me? I'm ignorant and need some serious help. If i buy an xbr2, could i be SOL at some point in the future?
This however is exactly what the justice department needs to hear. Obviously Charlie isn't going to tell them. They have the ultimate power of veto here. They can approve the deal with heavy conditions applied, such as you will replace ANY hardware this merger obsoletes. That may even make Charlie re-considerer the whole thing but so be it.

I will go on record here as being against this merger. I realize all the TECHNICAL benefits of a single supplier but what bothers me is the power they will have. Dish is already getting pissy now that they have a substantial subscriber base. They are not as a fraid to say no anymore.

Charlie and his laywers are going to say, Yes, of course we will replace all those $200 DirecTV boxes for free. What they won't openly agree to is all those $600+ HD boxes, DirecTivios, and integreted TV/STB's. It's up to us to make sure those officials have that information so they can fire back, what about the "other" boxes you will obsolete.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.